WGT624 V2 can't use 'default' as SSID?

Hi,

I fully understand the security risks of doing this but I have a hacked Tivo that is currently set to associate with default. Until I can figure out how to change the tivo, I would like the wGT624 to use "default" as its SSID. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. Whenever I enter "default", the router replaces it with the word "netgear" followed by random symbols. Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks,

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli
Loading thread data ...

On 28/11/2004 18:23 Al Puzzuoli got up from the bar and shouted..:

you want to live dangerously?? Try opening a firmware binary with a HEX editor (note: NOT notepad...), and looking for the string "default", and change it to "dafeult" (for example). Of course this may totally shaft your router, so usual disclaimers apply...

Reply to
Black Shuck

Have you scanned for wireless networks with non-Netgear equipment? I've had problems with Netgear wireless nics doing what you are saying - come to find out it's not the router, it's the nic or the software being used with the nic that is changing the APs name. Plugged in my linksys or generic el-cheapo nic, and they both showed the correct AP name. Only the Netgear nic was munging the APs name.

Reply to
Ook

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.