WGR164v5 stopped doing wireless.

Hi all. Out of the blue my WGR164v5 router's "Wireless" light went out. The LAN plugs still work fine, so I hooked up the cable and tried to configure it. 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 won't find the setup anymore, but the web itself is going fine (thankfully). I tried pressing the reset button at the back for about a minute, but the lights never flashed or did anything really and the addresses still don't work. Am I hard resetting the router correctly? Is it likely the wireless has simply been turned off at the setup somehow, but for some reason I can't access it now to turn it back on? Thanks!

Reply to
DanSolo
Loading thread data ...

On your PC, run: start -> run -> cmd ipconfig Try pointing your web browser to the IP address shown on the "gateway" line.

See:

for the correct reset procedure. Yes, you do have to do every step, even if it seem rather odd and unnecessary.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's the one my man. The pages I was reading all said "hold in for

30 seconds" but didn't say anything about cycling the power. (how likely are you to do that by accident!). BTW, now it's WPA set, is there any need to change the login/password from default? That can only be accessed via the cable, right? Thanks!
Reply to
DanSolo

I've also had the reset cerimony fail on some WGR614 models, and had to use the 2nd procedures, where you hold down the button while applying power.

Well, try it. I think you'll find that the web based configuration is accessible via wireless. You're probably safe as long as nobody figures out your WPA key. That's not guaranteed with a shared key. Anyone that can get to your computer(s) for a while, can extract the key:

I carry a similar program on my USB dongle. It takes me about 15 seconds to extract and save the keys. Therefore, I suggest that you change the password.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well it's in my home, so that's probably not an issue. But if http://192.168.1.1 gets to my netgear setup page, how are all those setup pages on earth separated?

Reply to
DanSolo

Seperated from what? You can't easily get to the config page from the WAN side unless the WGR614 has a designated port number (usually 8080) for config access from the internet. You also have to enable that in the configuration somewhere. That's a totally different IP address.

However, if you mean seperating wireless from wired access, there's no need, reason, or even an easy way to seperate those. Wireless is bridging, not routing, so you had to do the seperation at the MAC layer, not the IP layer. Usually, that's done with something call "client isolation" or "AP isolation" where the wireless and wired clients don't see each other. It also be used to prevent access to the web config from the wireless networks. Some routers have this as a setting, but most do not.

Did you try it via wireless?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry if my phrasing was dire there. My question is how can someone else type 192.168.1.1 into their browser and get my router setup page? Wouldn't they just get their own, unless they've cracked my WPA and they're using my WiFi?

Reply to
DanSolo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.