WG802v2 bridging problem

HI all

Seen to be having problems getting the Netgear to bridge with Proxim.

Proxim AP-4000 Netgear wg602 v2 ( 3.2rc6 )

Using a second laptop, I can connect to the proxim with no problems using a USB/wifi connection.

Netgear -> I am looking at the WG602 using a laptop connected via Cat5. I have the Proxim MAC addy in the Remote MAC address boxes for Wireless client association ( box is also checked ). The wireless bridging portion of the menu says that I have the SSID of the Proxim along with its MAC, Channel and Signal Strength.

At first, I assumed that this would bridge like a modem and get the proper IP addy and stuff from the Proxim. No connection, no dhcp messages from the dhcp server.

So then I setup the Netgear IP addy to one that is in the Proxim's range, and a gateway addy for the proxim. The proxim does not show the connection and there is no surfing from the netgear's connected laptop.

Proxim 192.168.101.253 ( 192.168.101.254 is its gateway ) Netgear 192.168.101.241 ( 192.168.101.254 is its gateway ) Laptop 192.168.101.10

I did try to set the Proxim as the netgear gateway with no luck.

no security, wide open stuff.

Just out of curosity, I fired up NetStumbler and both the netgear and the proxim can be seen; although the Netgear is reported as an AP.

What button am I missing?

I will reset factory defaults just in case I had fat fingers, and try, try again.

todh

Reply to
OldGuy
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
OldGuy

You have two access points. Access points are NOT transparent bridges and will not talk to each other unless you enable WDS or turn one of them into a "client adapter".

formatting link
The data sheet says "supports wireless bridging" which methinks you're assuming means that it can act as a transparent bridge (or workgroup bridge). My reading of the fine print shows that it can do no such thing (unless I missed something). The install destructions show nothing on two of these boxes talking to each other. ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg602v2_install_guide.pdf

This is the rather traditional semantic mess over the term "bridge". They're *ALL* bridges, so that word is useless to describe a specific function.

If you want (and I have time) I'll throw together a web page of what will talk to what and how many MAC addresses will it pass. T'aint easy.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Welp; didn't get anything from Netgear. Cust support couldn't help. Somebody want to buy a WG602v2 cheap?

I did get a WGE101, plugged in all the stuff and I was surfing immediately. ( open network, no security remember ) Now I will go back and set the thing up proper and see what it can do.

todh

OldGuy wrote:

Reply to
OldGuy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.