WG511T <> 3CRPAG175 and WEP

In short I made following experience:

Connecting the 2 PC cards Netgear WG511T and 3COM 3CRPAG175 in Ad-hoc-mode with G or B only and with WEP enabled didn't function. The cards where used with the card manufactures own WLAN software (WinXP Wlan control disabled) on two XP Pro SP1 Laptops. With WEP enabled the cards could see each other, but they didn't establish network communications. I set up the IP network and WEP keys manually.

Without WEP enabled communication works fine, but is useless for security reasons.

I was also negatively surprised to find out, that the 3COM configuration software does NOT offer a WPA-PSK option.

Questions: Did anyone succeed to connect a WG511T and a 3crpag175 in Adhoc/ encrypted /G mode?

Does the C3RPAG175 support WPA encryption?

Thanks for your help. Lophiomys

Reply to
lophiomys
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
AirHead

Thanks for the hint. Yes, of course I checked for driver updates, the wg511t has the most recent driver from Netgears US support site.

3Com does not offer a new driver currently.

Promt and qualified 3COM support informed me in the mean time, that in order to use WPA-PSK with the 3crpag175 one would have to use the Microsoft WLAN drivers, with all the MS hot fixes as I assume. They cannot explain why WEP does not function in this special configuration.

I'll update you, when I will have tested the config with the MS drivers.

Lophiomys

Reply to
lophiomys

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.