WG311v3 vanished

Hello,

I installed a WG311v3 wireless adaptor a couple of days ago. Initially it was slightly troublesome - it would regularly drop connection if using the Netgear utility provided. However, I switched to the Microsoft utilities which worked fine. Yesterday, I upgraded the drivers provided by Netgear from the Windows update site and everything started working brilliantly (via the Netgear utility).

This morning things were still working well until I tried to copy a 500Mb file from another computer on the network. It almost completed (it was up to '10 seconds remaining') when the PC froze.

I had to press the reset button and when it all came back to life, the Netgear utility didn't seem to appear and , upon checking Device Manager it seemed that there was no mention of the wireless adaptor. I tried rebooting... still no mention. I shut down, unplugged the computer, replugged the computer and rebooted... still not there!

I'm not sure what to do now. It was all working so well!

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Daz

Reply to
Kroma
Loading thread data ...

If there's a "question mark in a yellow circle" in Device Mangler, try reinstalling the drivers. If there isn't, try putting it in a different (PCI?) slot. Kinda sounds like an infant failure, though...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I've had similar lockups with the USB Netgear wireless adapter (WPN111) under Windows XP Pro. Working fine for a while and then PC locked solid.

Digger deeper on the web it transpires that the driver for the USB don't seem very stable (to say the least) but the culprit appears to be the Netgear wireless utility. One suggestion was to just install the Windows XP drivers alone and forget the utility. Means that you have to use Windows XP to control the wireless but that's usually works.

Fortunately, I image my PC regularly so was able to easily go back to an earlier image before Netgear was installed. Installing the drivers alone seemed to work for me.

I'm guessing (and it's a big guess) that the same utility is used on all the Netgear devices so maybe the same trick will work.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Thanks for the replies... I got it working again.

I had to remove the card, reboot the PC, shut down, reinstall the card and reboot the pc again.

I have done as suggested and disabled the Netgear utility from activating - everything is handled by Windows and works a treat (well, about 99% of the time - I've had one total disconnection and the odd slowdown but the slowdowns wouldn't have been noticed had I not been looking for them).

I'll keep an eye on the performance for a while.

Thanks again,

Daz

Reply to
Kroma

Those happen anyway :-)

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.