WEP to WPA?

I have a wifi home network with WPA security.

But now I bought an SD wifi card for my pocketpc (Eagletec), but unfortunately it only offers WEP security :-(

My question: can WPA be implimented by an updated driver, or does the hardware needs to be changed for that?

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

Just switch the network to WEP. Decent security on the network is kind of pointless: if the data is sensitive encrypt it before you send it across the network; if it isn't who cares? While it's possible that somebody could attack your network and do "bad stuff", do you really care? (since you can easily deny it because your network is known to use broken security)

Alun Harford

Reply to
Alun Harford

What a statement!

Of course I care. I don't want, for instance, anyone to find out what my email credentials are, and read my emails.

Reply to
John

Then encrypt the data connection between your computer and your email server! If you don't, then anybody on the internet route can snoop anyway.

Alun Harford

Reply to
Alun Harford

That was exactly my question in another tread... is https over unsecured wifi safe or not...

The question here was: can WPA be implemented with a driver update or not.

Reply to
John

Almost certainly not.

Alun Harford

Reply to
Alun Harford

Any particular maker and model number? Just curious in case there's an access point compatibilty issue.

If the driver didn't come with the Eagletec SD card, then it can be had from a 3rd party. See:

formatting link
*THINK* it includes WPA2 but I can't tell for sure from the data sheet.

Any particular version of PocketPC? Windoze Mobile 2001 -> 2003, Windoze Mobile 5.0, CE 1.0 -> 5.0, etc? Any particular maker and model handheld?

Driver only. WPA was specifically invented to patch together the mistakes made in WEP encryption. It was to be a software or firmware only change and does not require any hardware support or changes. (Not necessarily true for WPA2 which might require a dedicated AES encryption chip).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, but that depends on how the thing's implementing it. The WiFi SD card is kind of cool, but I have a feeling it horribly breaks all recommendations in order to get it to work!

Alun Harford

Reply to
Alun Harford

Yes.

Nobody can tell you. Some devices have updated drivers available. Others don't. You didn't bother to tell us what you were using.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I did bother. Read my original post, please: Eagletec SD Wifi card.

Reply to
John

Sorry, but I thought Eagletec referred to your Pocket PC. What's the model number of the SD card? That said, an SD WiFi card is unusual enough that there's a good likelihood that there is no updated driver, but that doesn't mean there never will be.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Not unless the manufacturer supplies an appropriate firmware upgrade too. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.