WEP question

Linksys

indicates -65.

I have found for compatibility it is best to use straight hex on AP and device.Dont use the passphrase generator just key the numbers directly into the wep key box. 10 hex for 64 or 26 for 128

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I've been experimenting with wireless at home to learn about setting up clients. I have a wrt54g access point, V2.2 that's currently running sveasoft alchemy6.0 v3.01.3

for the client laptop I have a wusb54g and orinoco gold B PC card.

My question really is setting up wireless zero on XP sp1 (soon to be sp2) for WEP. Either adapter works fine unsecured, using wireless zero or the Linksys client (for the linksys adapter) The Linksys client connects fine using WEP or WPA TKIP preshared

Wireless zero will only allow a 5 character passphrase for 64 bit WEP, the Linksys AP will allow much longer. I've tried using a common 5 character passphrase and checked the generated hex keys to make sure they match but the wireless zero client will not connect. Signal strength indicated by the client stays near 0 and the network status remains unknown even though netstumbler indicates -65.

Is this just a wireless zero incompatibility issue maybe or ... ? What other information is needed ?

Thanks Dale

Reply to
<dale_at_wildew.com>

I tried entering the WEP key directly, without using the passphrase, but still couldn't connect. After a bit more fussing around it looks like I got it. The Orinoco client manager had a spot for the AP host name/MAC address. Once I selected the MAC and entered the hostname DHCP responded and the network connection hooked up.

This brings up another question I haven't seen answered anywhere yet.... Does ARP work differently over wireless? Static addressing doesn't seem to work [well?] on wireless networks. I'm getting the impression that APs build an ARP table through DHCP (eliminating?) the need for broadcast ARP traffic. Totally wrong -- close -- what? links to reference would be appreciated Thanks Dale

Reply to
Dale

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.