WEP key in WinXP

Hi all.

Here's an interesting one.

I've recently had problems with the internal wireless NIC on my Gateway laptop. The desktop pc gets on the wireless network no prob. Suddenly the laptop won't. I disabled all the startup programs to check for conflicts. I disabled the WEP security on the Linksys Wireless router and then the laptop can connect with the network and the internet. Enable the WEP and it won't. I get the "limited or now connectivity" error message. I set the WEP key in the advanced network settings. Still no luck. I checked the WEP key in that same dialog and it doesn't look like there are enough characters entered. I entered the 13 ascii characters that xp tells me I must have, but when I go back in there are only 8.

Any ideas?

Thanks. JB

Reply to
JohnB
Loading thread data ...

On 5 Dec 2006 22:29:44 -0800, "JohnB" wrote: : Hi all. : : Here's an interesting one. : : I've recently had problems with the internal wireless NIC on my Gateway : laptop. : The desktop pc gets on the wireless network no prob. : Suddenly the laptop won't. : I disabled all the startup programs to check for conflicts. : I disabled the WEP security on the Linksys Wireless router and then the : laptop can connect with the network and the internet. : Enable the WEP and it won't. : I get the "limited or now connectivity" error message. : I set the WEP key in the advanced network settings. Still no luck. : I checked the WEP key in that same dialog and it doesn't look like : there are enough characters entered. : I entered the 13 ascii characters that xp tells me I must have, but : when I go back in there are only 8. : : Any ideas?

I can't say what's happening in your case, but usually Windows won't show you the true password length, in order not to make the password easier to guess.

Reply to
Robert Coe

"View wireless Networks", "Change the order of preferred networks" "Remove" the network.

You want to enter hex for the WEP. The method used by various vendors for the ASCII equivalent varies.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.