WEP and XP problems;

I am having problems with my wireless network using WEP on XP laptops.

I have a SMC router, a laptop using ME, a laptop using XP Pro, and a laptop using XP Home.

When I first set up the network, but did not turn on WEP, all three laptops connected just fine. But when I turned on WEP, I started having problems with the XP laptops.

My ME laptop connects and stays connected. My XP laptops will connect, but after a few minutes the connection is dropped. I have to manually reconnect.

I have even tried using the same PCMCIA receiver card I have for the ME laptop in the XP laptops. The XP laptops still drop the connection.

So I think my network is sound. THe problem seems to be XP and WEP.

DOes anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.

Bart snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
barthome1
Loading thread data ...

Are you using the client card utility or letting XP (zero config) manage the wireless ?

Worth getting your PC's up to Service Pack 2 if they're not already ...

Reply to
Emlynfluff

I don't have the XP laptops to service pack 2. I was trying to avoid this but may have to bite the bullet

I do let XP manage the connections.

I would hate to get a new router, but maybe I will.

Thanks for the advice.

Bart

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXWEPXa.usenet.us.com wrote:

laptops.

reboot the

laptop.

Reply to
barthome1

Bite, chew, and swallow the bullet. SP2 is a good thing.

The pre-SP1 wireless drivers had a bit of a problem with 802.1x authentication. If enabled, it would try to connect to a RADIUS server and fail. During that time, the connection would drop or go comatose. Go in the advanced settings on the wireless connection thingy and disable 802.1x. Note, that if you're using WPA, 802.1x is required and enabled by default. It is NOT necessary for WEP or no encryption.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had an SMC7004WFW. Worked fine for a couple of years. I have a wired WinXPHome and a wireless 2000 pro, and a few visitors of unknown variety.

Then I set up a new system for someone, using WinXP Home. Wireless connection would work for a couple of hours, and quit. When that machine quit, my laptop wireless would also stop working.

I could use the wired connection to disable/enable wireless, or reboot the router, or I could power cycle the router and it would work again.

I thought there was something wierd with that one system.

Then I upgraded my laptop to WinXP Pro. My Orinoco silver, a DLink DWL-122 USB dongle, and a Netgear WG511 all had the same problem in my laptop. They'd work for a while, and then the wireless in the router would hang.

I took the SMC to work where I only connect for a few minutes at a time. If I leave it connected for a couple of hours, it hangs the wireless router. I put a Netgear WGR614v4 router in at home, and it's fine.

The Linksys BEFW11S4 that I connect to regularly has no such problem, just the SMC. Of course SMC support has never heard of such a thing, and there are no firmware updates for the router, which is discontinued.

Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $74.99 - $25 = 49.99 WGR614v4 Router and WG511 PCMCIA card that I have.

This setup works well with WindowsXP. I did have to upgrade the drivers for the WG511 card, but that was simple enough.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.