Wep?

WEP at 128 bit encryption is good, but you have to change the SSID, WEP key and password of the device at least every three months or you could have the device compromised. It is possible to hack into a device using just WEP because of the limited number of alpha numeric characters you can use for WEP protection. Now understand that not everyone in the world knows how to hack a WIFI device, but if you just happen to stay in the vicinity of someone who does and they can reach your device then you could be in trouble. It takes a good algorithm and strong understanding of WIFI and most people don't have that. WPA-PSK is allot better because you have more alpha-numeric characters you can use and only the devices with the "password word" will be allowed access. Only certain Linksys, DLink and Netgear devices have WPA-PSK so search and read every specification of the device. Good Luck!!

POP

Reply to
POPS
Loading thread data ...

Hi all

I have 2 questions, how good is wep on wireless? Some say good some say bad? I have heard it's very easy to connect to a wifi network even when it's got wep enabled?

If this is so, I'm gonna ask, how? it would be nice to check my email while I'm out !

Brian

Reply to
Brian

WPA is the way to go if you are really serious about security. A bit of a pain to set up though. If you want to simply block unauthorized internet access on a WIFI network, you might want to try our free blocking software at

formatting link

Reply to
myWIFIzone

3 months? Try every 10 minutes.
Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.