Weird wireless situation

I'm in an office suite with several other tenants. All of us have wireless routers of different brands, and different ages (mine's less than a year old). There was no problem until about a week or so ago, when suddenly none of us could access our wireless routers. However, the wired portions of the routers work fine for all of us.

I changed my wireless channel to 5 rather than 6, and now can at least access it intermittently from my office systems, but this did not work on the other routers in the building. None of the other routers in the building even show up on the list of available wireless networks, even though they had previously. My router displays as available, but when I try to access it from other tenants' machines, I can't (it just keeps trying to connect and finally failing).

The local ISP (who serves all of us) indicates no problem on their end, and the fact that the routers work when we use cables rather than wireless makes me believe they're correct. I checked my router's log, and it shows no entries in the "incoming" section, even though I do (intermittently) connect to my wireless, and tried to connect via the other tenants' systems.

No one has changed any settings to my knowledge (and in fact, I doubt most of the other tenants would know how), and there's been no massive EMP, solar flares, or sunspots that I'm aware of (grin). So has anyone else seen something like this, or have any suggestions? I'm using a Linksys, but as I said, other tenants are using different brands and experiencing the same issue.

Thanks in advance,

JD

Reply to
JD
Loading thread data ...

Try one of the three non-overlapping channels {1,6,11}, sounds like you have a new interference source in the building.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

That was it. I tried 11, which knocked out my signal entirely -- couldn't see it anywhere. Then tried 1, and now both I and the tenant next door can access. I've let the others in the building know to change the channel on their routers. Thanks!

JD

Reply to
JD

That was it. I tried 11, which knocked out my signal entirely -- couldn't see it anywhere. Then tried 1, and now both I and the tenant next door can access. I've let the others in the building know to change the channel on their routers. Thanks!

JD

Reply to
JD

It may also be a 2.4 GHz cordless phone knocking out the signal. The phone and wireless both operate on 2.4 GHz

Reply to
Alan White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.