web hosting

I have a speedtouch modem and a d-link router. I want to host a simple site using tomcat. I can't seem to make my site visible from the outside world, even when I put my computer in the DMZ. Any ideas what settings I have to use. I can't even see the modem's web interface from my laptop.

Reply to
Tim
Loading thread data ...

Sell them and get a new keyboard that has working number keys. It's difficult to determine model numbers without number keys.

Right. I have to do the works searching for what the deleted expletive a "tomcat" is. Let's see, after digging through a few hundred pussy cat sites, I find:

Is this the tomcat you propose using?

You do NOT want to use a DMZ unless you want to install a wide open sacrificial server to keep the hackers entertained. The misnamed DMZ feature opens ALL ports and redirects them to one specific host.

Nope. No idea whatsoever. That's because I don't know what ports Tomcat uses (if any), what you're doing with Tomcat, what model DLink your using, or whether your DSL ISP even allows servers on their system. The port forwarding is usually on a page labeled "port forwarding" in the DLink configuration, but may have other names depending on DLink mode. The title of "web hosting" implies that you want to redirect port 80. That's possible but if your unspecified model DLink already is redirecting port 80 for remote management or something similar, it won't work.

Anyway, when you get a new keyboard, with working numbers, you might wanna supply the missing model numbers. Extra credit for the hardware revision (see serial number sticker).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Does each D-Link work differently from the other or does the brand have general methods of doing things?

Reply to
Tim

Hi,

By default Tomcat listens on port 8080. When you access your Tomcat from the outside, are you using a URL like:

http://:8080/...

??

It should work in the DMZ, both better that you just forward port 8080 on the D-Link to your internal Tomcat server IP address.

You can change the port that Tomcat listens on by modifying server.xml, I think, but we're getting OT here :)...

Also, make sure that your ISP is not blocking whatever port that you're using.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

First of all,the ISP says it does not block any ports.

I have an external static IP address and I used the form http://external_address:8080I tried to access it from a computer in a different location.

How do I map the external IP address (206.230.150.70 for instance) to the address of the DMZ computer (192.168.0.100 for instance)? Does it just look for any computer in the DMZ and look for whatever port you specify on that computer?

Reply to
Tim

8><

Since you did not mention the model no. of the Speedtouch it is not known whether it has NAT capability or not and if you therefore need to carry out port forwarding in the Speedtouch.

With regards to D-link routers some of the newer models,e.g. DGL4300, have virtual server capability which can be used for web servers as opposed to using the port forwarding capability.

Reply to
LR

OK, well it's a Speedtouch 516 and the router is a D-Link 624.

Reply to
Tim

That won't help if his ISP _forbids_ running servers, as mine does. I guess what they worry about is that I'll put up a web site that becomes enormously popular and generates 3,000,000 hits per day.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Port forwarding for the basic 516 although you will be using port 8080.

Port forwarding for the basic DI624 with public port 8080 and private port 80

Reply to
LR

Port 8080 is also the default port for remote management of most bottom of the line routers. If you have remote admin enabled in the unspecified model Dlink router, Port 8080 cannot be used, even if all ports are redirected to the DMZ.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes and it's likely your connection/server wouldn't handle that anyway. at&t blocks inbound port 80 but my web server is on 8080 with and inside outside NAT rule to port public port 8080 to private port 80. some DNS magic (heh) and

formatting link
resolves just fine. however anything other than that has to use
formatting link
I'm not running a mail server which I think is blocked also but FTP isn't.. all other services (RDP, etc) have no trouble.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

OK, so unless I specify it in the URL, the default port from the internet would be 80. This gets changed to 8080 through the port forwarding function of the speedtouch router. Then the input to the D-Link router is 8080 so why wouldn't I keep the private port as 8080, which is the default for Tomcat and what I currently have it set up as?

Or why wouldn't I have the modem port forward from 80 to 80 and then have the router port forward from 80 to 8080? What am I misunderstanding?

And if I don't port forward, does the modem still pass the request through on the port that was specified? (ie 80 to 80 with no change)

Anyway, thanks for the assistance!!

Reply to
Tim

Another question. Do I have to specify the IP address of the D-Link or not? And does it have to be on the same network address such as

192.168.1.1 (modem) and 192.168.1.2 (router) or can they be specified differently and routed?
Reply to
Tim

Tim wrote in news:48cc2$48cc06aa$cef8ac46$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

OK, the modem does not have an IP address, the internet accessible IP address is assigned to the ethernet device connected to it, in your case, the D-Link rtr. This means that you r public IP IS the IP of the WAN side of the rtr. The only IP address the modem has is a non-routebale 192. or

1. address so your ISP can administer to it if necessary.

Any communications to your IP address from the internet will be sent to the rtr. This of the modem as a bridge only.

You most likely can't access port 8080 from the internet because most rtr's by default have adminstration disabled from the WAN port.

On to basics.....you probably need to do some reading on IP subnetting.

A network address is the actual IP address of a device. Obviously no two devices can have the same IP address. A block of IP's within the same range is referred to a subnet. The subnet is defined by the subnet mask.

For simplicity sake we'll look at a full class C subnet, a device....

192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 is in the 192.168.1.0 subnet and can directly communicate with any device on the same physical LAN that has an IP of 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0, with x being any other number between 2 & 254.
Reply to
DanS

The UI shown in the diagram for the speedtouch516 does not match what I am getting. I cannot see where to do the port forwarding.

Reply to
Tim

Are you sure you have a basic 516 or do you have one of the other versions e.g. 516i or 516v6? Have a look at the port forwarding for those 2 routers from the website, listed under Thomson/Alcatel

Reply to
LR

Thanks, I may have a slightly different model.

Reply to
Tim

What does the i in 516i stand for? Internet?

Reply to
Tim

Connection dls cable or Dialup will work to host any service because i does

1- you must have a server (apache or other) install in your computer 2- you computer must have a fix IP ( if have a router choose one) and in the tcp/ip write it there ! EX: 192.168.0.50 3- open firewall on the Computer and the router for the port 80 4- point the open port to the ip address that is fix EX: 192.168.0.50

5- surf on you real ip address , normaly you will see the web page

Tim wrote:

Reply to
floffy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.