WDS mesh and dual vs single radio

Hi,

I could imagine some degradation may occur when a single radio AP is meshed. Would a dual radio AP sustain a higher bandwidth as one radio is meshed and the other is accessed by clients? If so, could a recommendation be made for a dual radio AP?

regards, Jeff

Reply to
jeffeb
Loading thread data ...

On 28 Nov 2006 16:32:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

For two radios with minimum interference, cable a wireless Ethernet (client) bridge to a wireless access point on a different non-overlapping channel (using the same SSID).

Reply to
John Navas

No imagination required. Store and forward is slow, wasteful, inefficient, disgusting, but cheap.

Yes. Some of the mesh wireless network vendors offer dual radios. See:

Note that Belair offers a dual band solution, where the 2nd radio is on 5.8GHz.

The leader is currently Tropos which finally produced a similar dual radio, dual band product:

If you want to jump in with both feet, I suggest you first read the research papers from MIT Roofnet mesh network to see how a working mesh network scales and acts. There were quite a few suprises for me.

Summary report:

Sources and details:

No, I can't. I try not to make recommendations without knowing what you're trying to accomplish, what you have to work with, and what environment you're trying to deploy it. I also like to recommend stuff that I've played with. So far, I've only tinkered with Wi-Fi mesh and don't like any of the systems that I've seen. Mesh networks are not a universal solution to all problems and do not really replace the backhaul.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.