Watching someone browsing on wireless?

Is it possible, and if so what software is needed, to watch someone browsing across a wireless connection? It is encrypted traffic but I know the key.

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Yes it's possible, but sounds like you're asking advice on how to illegally eavesdrop on communication, and well, yer on your own in breaking the law.

Reply to
Todd H.

There are several. This one (for Windows) will keep you occupied for 30 days:

Then there's Ethereal (for *nix). Do some Googling.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

It's now spun off and called WireShark:

Both Ethereal and Wireshark are available for Windoze.

However, to use these for wireless sniffing, you need a promiscuous mode driver for the wireless device. See:

Only $200. Hopefully, you can get your investment back from the wireless identity theft and blackmail proceeds.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It would be a whole lot easier to just confront your girlfriend on who that guy she was seen with.

Reply to
DTC

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look.

Reply to
Paul

LOL.

Reply to
Paul

If I wanted legal advice I'd have asked in an appropriate newsgroup thanks.

Reply to
Paul

It amount to the same thing .

Reply to
atec 77

So, your are asking someone to be an accomplice to a cyber crime.

Reply to
TeddyBare

What does? I wasn't asking for legal advice. It isn't an issue,

Reply to
Paul

Nope.

Reply to
Paul

I am suggesting to explain the answer is to compound the felony , perhaps you have the atrib wrong ?

Reply to
atec 77

It very much does ,I suggest you reconsider your request .

Reply to
atec 77

Actually, right in your headers your provider has happily provided you some guidance:

X-Report: Please report illegal or inappropriate use to . Forward a copy of ALL headers INCLUDING the body. (DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS) X-Comments2: IMPORTANT: Newsfeeds.com does not condone,support,nor tolerate spam or any illegal or copyrighted postings. X-Comments: This message was posted through Newsfeeds.com

Now go talk to your girlfriend.

Reply to
Todd H.

Forward a copy of ALL headers INCLUDING the body.

spam or any illegal or copyrighted postings.

Do grow up.

Reply to
Paul

No it doesn't. Stop trying to be clever and making assumptions.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
atec 77

It's not as easy as the security software merchants would have one believe. You need lots of time, tenacity, know-how. Generally two computers and a spectrum- analyzer are starters. Plus you can go to jail in some states when caught.. Some folks who trust one another combine their resources and use one AP..As with this kind of arrangement, any prosecuting attorney can discover a way to make even breathing illegal.

Reply to
jbyrd

Nothing is as easy as the salesman suggests.

There are also a few surprises. One big one is finding a location where you can hear both the access point and client radios. Usually, you can hear one or the other, but not both. If you only want one side of the traffic, that's fine, but if you want to capture the entire session, you need either two sniffers, or a very good radio.

Oh-oh. I see you've been there with the two computers trick. However, what does the spectrum analyzer do for you? It's great for interference detection and antenna optimization, but not for sniffing. Incidentally, I'm lusting after a Tektronix 492 spectrum analyzer on eBay. Goes to 22GHz, light weight, fairly cheap, and very portable. About $2,000 with all the options (1,2,3).

Chuckle. It really does help to be subtle and somewhat stealthy. I was doing an interference study in a parking lot. Spectrum analyzer on a cart, 20ft fiberglass pole, panel antenna on top. Jacket over the equipment so I can see the display in the sunlight. 3 laptops some with external antennas. I looked like a visitor from Mars. Someone eventually called the police, who wasted 30 minutes asking numerous odd and irrelevant questions. I think they let me go only because they couldn't figure out what crime I was in the process of committing. Incidentally, this has happened 4 times in the last 3 years, and no jail time or confiscations, yet.

Exhaling bad breath in a public place is illegal. Same with perfume and other strong body odors. In some state (i.e. Florida) it is illegal to "access" someone elses network without permission. Of course, the term "access" is not properly defined.

Incidentally, simply sniffing the traffic (without decrypting) seems to fall under the 3rd party traffic rules of the FCC. Long ago, they decided that simply intercepting radio transmissions were not in themselves illegal. However, disclosing the contents to a 3rd party was considered breaking the law. That worked for most of the last century, but was eventually modified to make listening to cellular and cordless phone conversations illegal.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.