Watching someone browsing on wireless?

"Thou shall not lust thy neighbors eBay offerings" But drooling is OK.

Reply to
DTC
Loading thread data ...

I changed my mind. I now want an HP 8569B. HP-IB programmable,

22Ghz, and more knobs to twiddle. It's not portable, but is a much better spectrum analyzer for the price. The plan is to upgrade my 1970's vintage test equipment pile into perhaps the 1980's. For various dumb reasons, I'm delaying my splurge and practicing financial restraint. It's all I can do to not click "Buy Now".

Incidentally, I just received an "as is" HP 5334A 100Mhz frequency/period/interval counter purchased on eBay. Dead clock oscillator and no manual. This has not been a good day.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Maybe they mistook you for Caddyshack Mohammed.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Remember the HP *TEN Mhz* counter/time that weighed 50# and was in a 2x2x2 foot metal box with orange Nixie tubes?

Reply to
DTC

Only if he had his jacket over his head and face.

Reply to
DTC

Remember? I still use those. I have several HP Nixie tube counters and volts guessers. I just bought two (one working, one for parts) HP

5248L microwave counters which go to 200MHz or to 12.4GHz with various plugins. I have the plugins. They're a bit old but still quite useful. I'm guessing that the electrolytics will either reform themselves tonite, or blow up tomorrow.

Also, when I was in high skool, and working summers at UCLA Radiation Biology Labs (sweeping the floor and cleaning rabbit cages), I worked with counters that were strings of neon lamps with 12AT7 tubes for the counters. It was quite a hypnotic light show. I don't recall if HP made these, or someone else. Prior to that, I worked with counters and volts guessers that used rotary stepper switches. I vaguely recall they were by Non-Linear Systems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

He could well be sniffing traffic on his own network. I'd like to see what the leeches from my neighborhood feel like viewing when i open my network up

Reply to
castellan

The original HP 10 MHz counters used a string of incandescent lamps. They were upgraded with Nixie tubes. Both versions had the HP and another brand name on them, but I can't recall. its been over 35 years.

Reply to
DTC

Isn't that standard apparel for a perp walk?

Reply to
Neill Massello

DTC hath wroth:

I think that's the HP 524A counter:

It wasn't the first counter made by HP but it was the first one that I used.

When I did some summer work building a calibration lab for an aerospace company in the late 1960's, the HP 524B or something similar was one of several counters in the lab. They wouldn't let me play with it. The UCLA Radiation Biology Lab had several. Note that the early counters were primarily event counters, not frequency meters. I vaguely recall using Veeder-Root mechanical counters (totalizers) to count infrequent radiation events.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com (Neill Massello) hath wroth:

Actually yes and that's exactly what I looked like. The problem is that I can't see the CRT or laptop LCD screens in the bright sun. Actually, I can't see them in any kind of sunlight. Ever try using a laptop at the beach as in some of the advertisement photos? So, the old jacket over the head trick works. Normally, I have a towel or blanket, but I forgot and had to use a jacket.

The jacket over the head look is just one of many stereotypes popularized by the movies and TV. The one that really bugs me is that all red LED displays are bombs. Every time I see a digital display timer on some Hollywood explosive device, it has big bright red LED's. That's fine for technically challenged viewing audiences, but it causes me no end of difficulties when I appear with my test equipment full of red LED's. One look at my red LED counters and associated wiring tangle and someone always asks if it's a bomb. I've been tempted to replace all the display LED's on some of my HP test equipment. So, if you decide to do some "field work", remember to bring a blanket and don't bring anything with red LED's. Whatever you do, always set red LED counters to count up, not down to zero.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Didn't think of that...was thinking of a burqa.

Reply to
DTC

And emit a loud beep before they go off, like a microwave oven.

I suppose they wouldn't get the joke if you answered, "No, it's a moron detector."

Reply to
Neill Massello

Same with Hollywood's mandatory green monochrome computer screens with

32 point font style.
Reply to
DTC

Quite right too.

No, he asked how to eavesdrop on browser traffic. Besides, if I ask someone if I can kill a person by stabbing them in the heart & they say "yes" - Are they an accomplice to murder. No, of course not, but then you knew that already.

1) Given that he knows the key perhaps he has permission - perhaps the browser is himself. Why do you assume he will break the law. 2) How do you know what the laws are in the country he plans to do this?

Bottom line is. some self appointed netcop decides that because in *their opinion* someone might break the law that they should not give out information.

Sorry kids, nothing to learn here, can't have you learn basic maths - you might break the law by becoming an expert on mathematical algorithms.

Perhaps this more a case of you not knowing the answer so thought you'd impress some complete strangers by pointing at yourself and saying "Look at me - I'm a good guy!". Way to go fucktard.

Reply to
Judge Fishy

I would submit that if one responded with information on which kind of knife is best, where to get the knife, what landmarks to look for and how best to avoid hitting a rib on the way in, they are an accomplice. Assuming that what the lad wanted was illegal (and you gave us a couple reasons why that might not be the case although there is also ample reason to assume that it was) this is much closer to what the OP was asking.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Perhaps indeed, opinions & analogies etc. Perhaps the purpose of the information is for a journalist who wishes to see how easy it is to gain information that may be used to commit a crime?

So, in this day & age you advocate not answering questions *if* there is any possibility that the information given could be used to break a law in your country (even if the law may be different in the OPs country)?

It is the assumption of guilt that I find so abhorrent. This has gone beyond networking & into political correctness territory. "You might want to commit a crime with this info. so I won't tell you and I will treat like a complete arsehole to boot. Damn kids - they're all alike". All we need is for the original OP to say "Yes & I'm offended" and then we can ban usenet ;-)

Reply to
Judge Fishy

That sure as hell don't make it right (g).

So, in this day and age you advocate people answering any question that comes their way no matter if they feel it is illegal or not and you further advocate taking away from others to right to express this feeling in open fora?

It is the repression of others ideas that I find so abhorant. Arsehols have rights, too ya know.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Either way the questions wont be answered .

Reply to
atec77

Have you looked at the one from Tamos? It even includes a nifty WEP crack^H^H^H^H^Hrecovery module. Of course it depends on your hardware, i.e. the chipset in your wireless network adapter. But if you have the right card, it's free to try for 30 days.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.