WARNING ON ENGENIUS PRODUCTS

Thinking of buying something from Engenius? Think again.

When their tech support people were asked what the source of the terrible drivers for one of their client adapters, they said they did not know. They could not answer any other questions related to this either.

When a message was left for their senior tech. to return a call he did not. They did not respond to emails either.

Some of the adapter drivers they put out and which are sold by many third party dealers are crap, plain and simple. Their claims of which OS's their products work on are mostly bogus; I don't think they themselves know.

I suggest before anyone buys from this company or it's dealers they determine if Engenius is going to be around for support or even reply. I would also suggest you double check with USERS only as to if their products, in particular their software actually works.

Reply to
consumer
Loading thread data ...

Amazing. When you supply the model number of the product, the hardware version, the firmware version you so detest, and the manner in which you tested it, perhaps I can take your mud slinging seriously. Extra credit for itemizing the allegedly bogus claims. I normally ignore any opinions that do not provide enough information to reproduce (or avoid) the alleged problem. Thanks for providing a classic example of such an opinion.

(Disclaimer: I'm not associated with Engenius in any way).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann answered:

Your welcome. Normally I ignore replies like yours, but since I know you from previous posts, I will answer.

I will be happy to identify the device and drivers in private email to you, if you wish, providing you give assurances here that you won't share the email with third parties or here. Until I tried their crap drivers I had no axe to grind against Engenius. Now I think they should rename their company to Encompetent. I posted for consumers only, end users. If they don't want to heed my warning don't say I didn't warn you. My only motivation in posting is to save others the time and trouble of taking Engenius' claim is seriously and being extra careful in anything they even consider ordering from that company.

Are you sure you have no biz dealings with them??

>
Reply to
Anonymous

Jeff Liebermann answered:

Your welcome. Normally I ignore replies like yours, but since I know you from previous posts, I will answer.

I will be happy to identify the device and drivers in private email to you, if you wish, providing you give assurances here that you won't share the email with third parties or here. Until I tried their crap drivers I had no axe to grind against Engenius. Now I think they should rename their company to Encompetent. I posted for consumers only, end users. If they don't want to heed my warning don't say I didn't warn you. My only motivation in posting is to save others the time and trouble of taking Engenius' claim is seriously and being extra careful in anything they even consider ordering from that company.

Are you sure you have no biz dealings with them??

>
Reply to
consumer

I'm honored, I think...

Why so secret? Bug lists should be shared by all and publicly advertised. There's no other way to get bugs fixed. Kindly recall the crap that Intel received for hiding the FDIV bug in their early Pentium processor, along with subsequent arithmetic bugs. If you wanted a bug list, one had to sign an NDA from Intel. I can see that for unreleased products and development, but once the general public is involved, such secrecy is not necessary. Also, without publication of known bugs, there's really no incentive to get things fixed.

However, I will draw the line on security related bugs. Those should only be publicized AFTER a fix has been released.

If Enginius has problems with their products, I would be interested. They sell the highly popular Senao based high power cards and access points. If there were any major driver or product issues, it would have been plastered all over the internet by now.

Also, I resist the tempation to condemn a company simply because one of their products or drivers has a problem. Literally every company I've ever dealt with has screwed up somewhere in their design or production. They would have a series of ever improving products that demonstate constant improvements and development. Then, they screwup badly by switching vendors or something and produce a lemon. The progression of the Linksys WRT54G is a great example. Versions 1 thru

4 are just fine. Version 5 is a lemon.

Well, I'm sure everyone appreciates your jesture on their behalf. However, I personally find that blanket general condemnations without any form of background, detail, substantiation, or even identification of the product, to be less than worthless.

Yep. I've never bought anything from Engenius or done any work for the company. I have purchased some Engenius parts and pieces to repair one of their cordless phones (SN-900) which I later gave away as a present.

So, why so secret? I'm curious.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm not persuaded by such arguments -- that leaves innocent customers uninformed and badly exposed during a time that bad folks may well be after them. There's no way of knowing that an exploit hasn't gotten out. At most I'd give the vendor a modest period of time to take action prior to public disclosure, no more than 60-90 days.

Reply to
John Navas

This has been debated to death in the various security related mailing lists (NANOG, BUGTRAQ, FullDisclosure, etc). The consensus seems to be that some disclosure is necessary. The question is how much an when. That varies depending across the entire spectra of possible policies. I only bought up the issue of security related bugs so that nobody will suggest that I advocate publicizing security holes.

However, the original issue is over an apparently driver bug, not a security hole or potential exploit. Methinks your concerns do not apply to such non-security related bugs.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To be clear, I was responding only to your 2nd paragraph on security related bugs. The 1st paragraph was just for context.

Reply to
John Navas

ignoring the responses to date, I'll only note that Jeff Keenan, of Engenious, has posted about his products in this forum before.

Noted absence in the two posts looking for help with their products makes (me, for one) one wonder.

L8R

Skip

Reply to
Skip Gundlach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.