WAP54G wireless data speed problems

Hi Guys,

I have a WRTP54G connected to my DSL modem and then a wired WAP54G connected on a seperate floor. When I am connected to the access point (wirelessly) using my laptop (Fujitsu S7010D), I am connected at a good 54Mbps, but my data transfer rates (aka my internet connection speed is slow). But when I take that ethernet cable straight from the router to my laptop, I get extremely fast speeds. Which means there is something that has to do with the access point or the wireless network that it generates. Here are the DSL report tests for both wireless and wired

wireless

57kbps download and 118 kbps upload

wired

188kbps download and 159 kbps upload.

Now this is too much of a difference between a wired and a wireless solution.

Any suggestions will be welcome! Thanks for your help.

Jatin P.S. Both the tests were done on the dslreports site with Miami as the test location.

Reply to
gravity
Loading thread data ...

On 13 Mar 2007 11:11:53 -0700, "gravity" wrote in :

Likely weak signal and/or interference. Wireless has trouble penetrating walls, ceilings and floors.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi John,

Thanks for the input, I would agree with you on weak signal/ interference, but this happens to me even if i sit like 2-3 feet away from the router, at no point of time am I more than 6-10 feet away. As far as interences are concerned, I have one cordless system in the room that works at 5.8 Ghz...so I'm quite clueless! :(

Thanks! Jat> On 13 Mar 2007 11:11:53 -0700, "gravity" wrote

quoted text -

Reply to
gravity

On 13 Mar 2007 23:40:06 -0700, "gravity" wrote in :

Your cordless phone could nonetheless be an issue -- some 5.8 phones use that channel in one direction and 2.4 in the other direction. But your distance makes that kind of problem unlikely.

What kind of DSL service do you have, and what speeds are you supposed to get? Even your wired download speeds look low for standard consumer DSL service (even allowing for the unreliability of DSLreports testing). Perhaps you have a DSL problem.

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread

-- it's confusing. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

I just had this problem with a wireless bridge repeater setup, and it turned out the routers were too close together. When I separated them by 15 feet and a wall, my full data speed returned. I confirmed this by doing a download speedtest several times in before and after test.

It also gave me some router crashing trouble.

Reply to
Ray

quoted text -

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusing response, I'm not too concerned about my internet speed (my actual DSL), because I'm in India, and the speeds here are somewhat terrible, atm..i'm on a 256kbps line, i'm trying to get it upgraded to 2 mbps.

So I dont really understand, why I would be getting a faster speed when my laptop is directly connected to the ethernet wire, as opposed to being connected wirelessly.

Do you think it could be something with my wireless lan card? Its an atheros (onboard my laptop)

Thanks for your help! :)

Jatin

Reply to
gravity

Hi..thanks for the help! But my router and AP are on different floors of the house, seperated by more than 35-40 feet! :(

Reply to
gravity

quoted text -

Oh also, my router and my AP both have different SSID's, and are on different channels, would that make a difference?

Reply to
gravity

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.