WAP54G vs. WRT54G

I'm curious about the differences between these 2 devices. The WAP54G is an access point. The WRT54G is an access point, router and 4 port switch. The WAP54G lists for $10 more than the WRT54G. So... are there functions that the WAP can do that the WRT cannot? If not... why would someone buy the WAP? Why would Linksys even make the WAP?

Reply to
DanR
Loading thread data ...

A WAP links a wire and wireless network together and is usually plugged into a wire router to make a wire/wireless network or bridge the two networks.

A WAP cannot provide the protection or functions of the NAT router that has firewall like features.

formatting link
Yes, you could configure a wrt54g just to be a wire/WAP switch it's no longer a router and plug it into a wire router and you can have a wire/wireless network bridged together. The link also talks about Hubs and Switches which is built-in to the router and that technology is used no matter if the router is a router or has been configured just to be a switch. I don't think that WAP has the technology.

Some routers have the ability to do logging and some don't and WAP doesn't have it period that I know about.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

-->So why, if the WAPXXX stuff does less, it costs more? ;-) I am curious about it myself.

Scotty

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

I suggest that you put Linksys/Cisco to task about it. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

WAP is the known way to Bridge or Extend -

Reply to
Rodney Payne

Taking a moment's reflection, DanR mused: | | I'm curious about the differences between these 2 devices. | The WAP54G is an access point. | The WRT54G is an access point, router and 4 port switch. | The WAP54G lists for $10 more than the WRT54G. | So... are there functions that the WAP can do that the WRT cannot? If | not... why would someone buy the WAP? Why would Linksys even make the | WAP?

I own both ... I had a BEFSR41 router with the WAP54G connected to it. I then switched to a WRT54G wireless router ... and cut out the middle man. I suppose I could still used the WAP54G as a repeater ...

Anyway, regarding your question, the WRT54G does everything the WAP54G does and more. Except working in client mode (can turn a normal NIC into wireless), and bridge mode (bridging two wireless networks together). Why would someone, then, buy a WAP54G instead of a WRT54G? Simple ... they already have a router they are happy with, and don't want to reconfigure everything when they can just buy the access point and pop it on their already existing network. Plus when setting up multiple access points, the task is easier if they are just access points rather than fully functional wireless routers.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

The WAP is actually a 4 function device, it can act as an AP, Bridge, AP Client or a repeater. The WRT with stock software can only act as an AP along with its router/switch functions.

aIrHead

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.