WAP54G V1.1 in Repeater Mode

Hi, I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I realize I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention anything on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup does mention the repeater mode.

Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?

What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?

Regards Andres

Reply to
Andres Dagotto
Loading thread data ...

Andres Dagotto thought carefully and wrote on 11/27/2004 4:53 AM:

A firmware update will likely get you the repeater mode option. This mode was added with firmware v2.07. See below for a cut from the Linksys WAP54G v1.1 firmware release notes.

Note that firmware v1.09.1 needs to be installed before the update to v2.07. Don't forget to reboot the WAP after firmware updates.

Also, WEP should be turned off during repeater mode setup. Turn it back on only after the WAP is working nicely.

Don't know the difference between v1.1 and v2.

Lance

***** Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc. Product: WAP54G Classification: Firmware Release History Release Date: 06/01/04 Last Firmware Version: v2.07, April 28, 2004 ____________________________________________________________

Version 2.07, April 28, 2004

- Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support

- Updated User Interface format and layout

- Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware

- Adds AP Client Mode

- Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw 2.02.2 or above)

Attention: Before upgrading to fw 2.07, make sure your AP's current firmware is 1.09.1 Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge mode in this release Note: Please make sure to reset/reboot the unit after firmware upgrade is complete.

Reply to
Lance

I run 2.06 firmware in my v2 wap54g and it has repeater mode in the options. Might want to upgrade em

realize

anything

Reply to
Airhead

anything

upgrade

-----------------------------------------------------------------

There is a different firmware for upgrade for v.1.1 and v.2 so be sure and select the correct ones for each version.

Version 2.6 added repeater mode for the v2. Here is a cut form the readme Version 2.07, April 28, 2004

- Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support

Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this release

Version 2.06, December 16, 2003 (ver.2 initial release)

- Updated User Interface format and layout

- Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware

- Adds AP Client Mode

- Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw

2.02.2 or above)

Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this release

Reply to
Airhead

Hi Lance ! I did what you suggested and everything worked !

The sequence was:

1) Normal IP setup with the factory CD and firmware 2) Firmware upgrade to 1.09.1 3) Firmware upgrade to 2.07 4) Hold the reset button for 30 seconds 5) log on into the wap54g via browser 6) configure repeater, as explained in the linksys web site

So, botton line: WAP54G V1.1 can be used as a repeater of a WRT54G

Thanks folks ! Andres

Reply to
Andres Dagotto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.