WAP54G problems: connectivity & stability

flashing

connected.

channels ?

drivers

The Wlan Act blinks as an indication that the ap is sending or receiving data. It is constantly sending Beacons so I expect this is normal. The Wlan Link lights when there is a connection to a wirless device. Make sure the antennas are snug. Also shut every thing down and power up starting with modem, router (if you have one) then aps one at a time. If that dont work Id exchange it as a lemon

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

Well, my WAP54G access point just arrived yesterday and i have been

poking around with it all night, but still my connection fails or is

instable.

First thing:

1) I have a WAP54G with 7 leds in front, so version 1.0 or 1.1 if i am

not mistaking. Firmware running is 2.08 (the latest i think) From the

moment that the unit is booted, the ACT led of the WLAN starts flashing

and it just doesnt stop. I even haven't got ANY wireless PC connected.

My question: IS THIS NORMAL ??

I switched channels -> no effect. ACT led keeps flashing.

What is this activity ? Does the LED reflect activity on ALL channels ?

Because I have 2 other wireless networks available, all at a lower

signal strength. They use channels 11 and 5. I set my channel to 1.

2) I have NO SECURITY enabled (no MAC filt, no WEP, nothing) and still

i am having trouble connecting with my portable in the same room. The

portable is Windows XP SP2. XP firewall is OFF for the wireless

connection. When i try to connect to my wireless network (signal

strength 100%), the adapter ofter stays stuck in : "Waiting for the

network" or "Acquiring IP Address" (i use DHCP, but it doesn't seem to

work, i have tried with a fixed ip, no effect, i cant ping the default

gateway).

PS. I am using a WPC54G v1.2, also Linksys, running the latest drivers

(i think, setup application is v1.35)

3) When i reboot my router, PC and WAP it seems that 'sometimes' i am

able to get a succesfull connection (that is: a valid ip address).

However, when i start a continious ping to the default gateway, it

fails +/- every 1.5 minutes for about 5 pings. Not enough to disturb my

browsing, but FATAL for any download longer than 1 minute.......

They have always told me to stick to one brand for maximum

interoperability, but Linksys cant even make their own products work

together......

Regards,

Geert

Reply to
Geert Nijs

Taking a moment's reflection, Geert Nijs mused: | | 1) I have a WAP54G with 7 leds in front, so version 1.0 or 1.1 if i am | not mistaking. Firmware running is 2.08 (the latest i think) From the | moment that the unit is booted, the ACT led of the WLAN starts flashing | and it just doesnt stop. I even haven't got ANY wireless PC connected. | My question: IS THIS NORMAL ??

Yes. When you have no connections, the ACT light will blink at every beacon interval. What you have to watch for is the Link light blinking when you are not connected.

| 2) I have NO SECURITY enabled (no MAC filt, no WEP, nothing) and still | i am having trouble connecting with my portable in the same room. The | portable is Windows XP SP2. XP firewall is OFF for the wireless | connection. When i try to connect to my wireless network (signal | strength 100%), the adapter ofter stays stuck in : "Waiting for the | network" or "Acquiring IP Address" (i use DHCP, but it doesn't seem to | work, i have tried with a fixed ip, no effect, i cant ping the default | gateway). | PS. I am using a WPC54G v1.2, also Linksys, running the latest drivers | (i think, setup application is v1.35)

Make sure you aren't on the same channel as one of the other two wireless networks in your area. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are recommended; so, one of these should be available in your area. Also, bear in mind that if there is a fourth or fifth network in your area that is hiding its SSID, this could also be causing interference. So, you may need to try several channels.

| 3) When i reboot my router, PC and WAP it seems that 'sometimes' i am | able to get a succesfull connection (that is: a valid ip address). | However, when i start a continious ping to the default gateway, it | fails +/- every 1.5 minutes for about 5 pings. Not enough to disturb my | browsing, but FATAL for any download longer than 1 minute.......

This will likely cease when you get the issue resolved. Though, my wireless re-associated with my WAP during a download, and it has not caused a problem yet.

| They have always told me to stick to one brand for maximum | interoperability, but Linksys cant even make their own products work | together......

I am running the same hardware you are, and it works fine. You may have interference, or a bad component ... but they do work together.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.