WAP54G problem

I've been using my Linksys WAP54G for quite sometime now (over a year), always worked. I decided to relocate it to a better spot to be closer to other computers. I purchased a 25 foot CAT5 cable and relocated it, and it stopped working.

Thinking it was a bad cable, I restored the original cable (moving it back to original location) and it still does not work. I tried doing a reset, still nothing. The power LED is on, and the ACT and Link LEDs go on and off intermittently. I tried swapping the connector on the hub with the one connected to the main wired machine, but nothing goes. The wired network is fine (DSL). Not sure why it went south.

Reply to
TahoeKid
Loading thread data ...

"TahoeKid" hath wroth:

If you performed a hard reset (with a paper clip) you probably cleared all the settings in the WAP54G and returned it to defaults. Can you access the internal web config server at: http://192.168.1.245/Are the settings still there?

It's also possible that plugging in a new cable into the WAP54G mangled the RJ45 jack on either the WAP54G or whatever computah you have the other end plugged into. I've done this a few times so I know it's possible. It's usually caused by a bad connector or partial crimp where one of the gold pins in the cable RJ45 isn't crimped in all the way. That causes the gold wires in the receptacle to be mashed, twisted, or bent wrong. A visual inspection will usually show the problem.

Also, check the wiring on the two cables. Are they normal EIA-568A/B cables or are they the crossover type? If the old cable worked, make sure the new cable is the same type.

What's at the other end of the wireless link? Do you have an access point, wireless router, local coffee shop, hot spot, metro wi-fi, neighbors system, or are using ICS on the "main wired machine"?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's not the cable as I tried several, including the original.

There's no ping so I assume nothing would load using http, though I did not try loading it into a browser.

The other end is a hub. The hub also contains the input from DSL modem, and a hard-wired local machine. I tried swapping slots with the other computer, the other computer has no problem with the hub, so it is not the hub. It seems something going on with the access point itself.

I also see you're a Santa Cruz local.

- Roger

Reply to
TahoeKid

"TahoeKid" hath wroth:

Just to make sure, do the lights illuminate when you plug the cable in? Check both the WAP54G and the hub.

Bad assumption. What IP address are you pinging?

Are you using a static IP on the client? If you're expecting a DHCP assigned IP address throught the WAP54G, it won't happen as long as it's playing dead. You'll need to assign the client a suitable IP address such as 192.168.1.10. Then, try to ping the WAP54G at

Hint: If you questions and replys don't have any numbers, you're leaving out important information.

No router? Where are you getting the IP address for the WAP54G? (It has a DHCP client).

Where are you getting the IP address for the configuring computah?

Incidentally, how are you connecting two computahs to a DSL modem without a router? Do you have more than one IP address from your DSL ISP?

Good guess. Now test it with a different laptop.

Yep. Call me if you're desperate or drag the WAP54G to my palatial office and I'll try to revive the dead or perform last rites.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Problem solved.

It turns out it was a power supply problem. The outlet for which the PS was connected was producing too low a voltage. The power light came on, but the unit was not functioning. "Lights on but no one home".

Reply to
TahoeKid

Although the initial problem was solved, now that the unit has reset itself I am now where I was a year or so ago, though I don't remember how I solved this one.

In review, my setup is DSL modem connected to hub. Connected to the hub is a wired PC and the wireless Access Point.

I had this setup so that I could gain internet access via the Access Point - hub - dsl modem. This would work even when the other PC was off, no internet connection sharing going on.

I can talk to the Access Point if I connect a laptop and wire it into the hub, then set the IP address of the laptop to be something like

I experimented with various combinations of IP. DNS and DHCP settings to no avail.

If I run ipconfig from my wired machine I get this:

Windows IP Configuration

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cruzio.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cruzio.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 S Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxxxxxx Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 63.249.86.240 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 63.249.86.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 63.249.95.8 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 63.249.95.8 63.249.95.9 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 30, 2006

4:50:52 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:50:52 PM

What settings should I place into Access Point to allow internet access to wireless pcs?

Reply to
TahoeKid

"TahoeKid" hath wroth:

OK, you get ONE and only ONE computer connected to Cruzio. I would STRONGLY suggest you get a router.

OK, Cruzio is working. Since you don't have a router, you'll get an IP address (63.249.86.240) in this case, from the Cruzio DHCP server. The WAP54G is a bridge and knowns nothing about IP addresses. Let's start with setting up the WAP54G.

1. Setup your computah with a static IP address of 192.168.1.5.
  2. Run a CAT5 cable between the computah and the ethernet ports on the WAP54G. No need to be connected to the DSL modem.
  3. Go unto: http://192.168.1.245/which should be the configuration page for teh WAP54G.
  4. Go to the "mode" page and select "access point" mode.
    formatting link
    Go to the "wireless" page and set a: - channel (1, 6, or 11) - Unique SSID Leave everything else at defaults for now. That include encryption, which should be disabled at this time. Save and exit.
  5. Unplug the CAT5 cable.
  6. Fire up your computah and search for your SSID via wireless. Try to connect. It should work. Try to connect to the wireless setup page at: http://192.168.1.245/8. Plug the CAT5 cable between the WAP54G and the DSL modem. Change the computers IP setup from static IP to DHCP. You should get a new DHCP IP address from Cruzio. Check with IP config. If that works, try surfing the web or something.
  7. Now, go back to the static IP address (192.168.1.5), connect to the router setup page, and setup encryption. I suggest you use WPA-PSK (WPA-Personal) for decent security.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the info. I was also advised by my IT guy at work to get a router.... So I got a wirless router/firewall and it all worked out of the box. I wasted way too much time trying to make this work without one. So, Life's a beach with a wireless router.

- Roger

Reply to
TahoeKid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.