WAP54G in client mode vs bridge mode

I figured out that I do not need the Linksys WGA54G to connect my PS2 box to my wireless network. I ran this test with the WAP54G in client mode and found that it will forward a DCHP/IP address from my WRK54G to my laptop. It should do the same for the PS2 box. So, what's the difference between the WAP54G in client mode and the WGA54G? The modes of operation seem to be the same. Even WEP in 64bit encryption mode works. I received link disconnects when using 128bit encrytion mode. Still investigating this. I also noticed that if I ping the WAP54G, while the PC connected to it is accessing anything over the network, that the ping responses time out. Should this be expected?

Reply to
nusr
Loading thread data ...

Forgot to mention that I couldn't make connection in bridge mode. I couldn't make out what I needed or what was missing. Would I need to connect the WAP54G to a switch and have my PC connected to the same switch first? Then the WAP54G would talk to the WRK54G?

Reply to
nusr

Do I need 2 WAP54G's configured as bridges. And then the WAP54Gs are connected to switches where the PC clients are connected to?

Reply to
nusr

Here is a limitation I noticed. In client mode the WAP54G will other allow only one PC client to access the Internet at a time for the PCs connected to the switch that is connected to the WAP54G. However, in access point mode, I can have multiple wireless PC clients accessing the Internet when the WAP54G is connected to the WRK54G.

Reply to
nusr

I have 2 wap54g in bridge mode -for over a year now it got a lot better after I downloaded newer drivers - my setup on bottom page here

formatting link
deployment is to set up both in one house so you can copy and paste the mac address from each other into the appropriate fiels -open and configure both at same time then take one to your remote location - they expect a "network" at remote location so use a switch if you want your router to supply all ips or a router if you want privacy for clients at the remote location.

Reply to
frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.