WAP54 - WPC54 question please

I have my WAP54 wireless access point connected to a router on my desktop system providing a wireless link to my laptop using a PC Card WPC54. On my laptop when I do ipconfig /all I see that my IP address is 192.168.15.100. Question: was this address assigned by my desktop router DHCP thru the wireless link? The address is consistent with all the other IP's the router assigned. I'd just like to understand more how this DHCP stuff works. There could be some DHCP thing inside my laptop but if so I don't know where it is. Thanks.

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

Most likely the IP address assignment was made by a DHCP process inside your NAT router. That's the usual arrangement.

Regards,

-Bob Bosen-

formatting link
Networking and Internetworking Made Easy thru Multimedia

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Depends what mode your WAP54G is set for. Out of the box, its a simple bridging access point and it passes the IP address from the router's DHCP server. Is something not working or you just curious how it works?

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Thanks all for the opinions. Basically I'm curious how these things work. You get an IP address but where did it come from? I was thinking that the laptop may be sort of a closed system and any IP addresses it gets may come from the laptop itself. But if so, I don't know who the DHCP server is. The only possibilities are the PC Card in the laptop or the main router on the desktop system. Any way to tell for sure?

Reply to
rob

Examine the set-up on the WAP54 by accessing it through a hardwired connection at 192.168.1.245. Check to see whether teh WAP is set to be a DHCP server.

Otherwise, have a look at your router set-up. Probably, its set to be a DHCP server. The address range (atarting at 192.168.1.100) looks like a typical router assigned address.

When the laptop connects, it broadcasts its identity. The DHCP server sees the broadcast and assigns an address. More often than not, the address goes into a "reservation table" so that when the same device reappears on the network, the same address will be assigned to it again.

Reply to
xorbit

To expand on what XORBIT is saying...

Connect your WAP54 directly to your laptop. It won't hurt to default the AP to factory settings with a full 30 second hard reset, that way you'll know you have a known starting place. Since the default address is 192.168.1.245, you need to set your laptop's TCP/IP to static IP and address to something like 192.168.1.10 and them web browser into the AP.

The WAP54 defaults to AP mode and will start up in the Setup > Basic Setup tab. Use these settings:

Configuration Type - Static IP IP Address: 192.168.15.10 * The .15 is an odd address for a home router to assign, might be something you selected intentionally, nevertheless that's OK. It appears your router's dynamic IP pool starts at .100, so using .10 will be fine, just make sure no other devices are set for 192.168.15.10 in your network. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.15.1 * This would be your router's IP address. IPCONFIG from one of your other devices will confirm that.

Set your laptop back to dynamic IP and power cycle your WAP54 and it will grab an IP address of 192.168.15.1xx from the router. Also to a Repair on your laptop's network connection to clear any previous settings.

The Linksys WAP54 is a pretty versatile device. It can act as a simple Access Point, Repeater, Wireless Bridge, and even a Client.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Do you mean to set my laptop next to the WAP54 and physically plug a cable between the two? Seems weird but I don't know any other way to make a direct hookup. This means that the WAP54 is no longer hooked to the router. Then it can't get an address from the router as you suggest below. I guess I'm not following you.

Thanks for trying to help.

It won't hurt to default

Reply to
rob

Not necessarily. Plug your laptop into a port on your router. Your computer needs to access the router and WAP through a hardwaired connection, not a wireless connection.

Reply to
xorbit

Thank you for the clarification. I wish I knew how to make the WAP54 do all these things. I can't find any documention in the shrink wrapped box I got. Just a CD.

Another question please: I've looked high and low on my desktop box for some evidence that I have installed all that software that came off the CD when I installed the WAP54. There's nothing in Start/Programs, nothing in Control Panel/Add-Remove. What if I want to uninstall it, is there anyway to rid myself of all that Linksys stuff? - I bet it put the typical

300MB on my HD? Thanks. all that software
Reply to
rob

Browse through this link:

formatting link
I've got a WAP54G and there are a lot of options, most of which I will never use or even consder.

Reply to
xorbit

I think if you're using XP, its a matter of installing / deinstalling drvers. See the "Device Manager" for that info.

Reply to
xorbit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.