WAP11 Times out after 4 hours ??

I have a small home network with a LinkSys Router and a LinkSys WAP11 connected to a brand new Dell Computer running Windows XP Home Edition.

The internet connection works perfectly, but after the computer sits idol for 3 or 4 hours, the WAP11 looses the internet connection. (i.e. When I launch Internet Explore there is no connection to the internet and no page is displayed.) The only way I can "wake it up" is to Right-Click the network icon in the system tray and choose "repair". Or, I can reboot the computer.

What is causing this? Is there a setting somewhere that is causing it to time out???

Please feel free to post here or e-mail me directly at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
rspike
Loading thread data ...

I worked around the probem by setting up a ping script to execute every couple of hours. Unecessary yes, effective, YES. It would be nice if LinkSys actually released some non-defective firmware for their devices.

Reply to
<art

Can you tell me how to do that? Sounds like a good work-around until something better comes along.

snipped-for-privacy@unknownrealm.org wrote:

devices.

internet

"repair".

Reply to
rspike

The following is for Windows XP. If you are using something else, it might be a bit different.

1. Start | Settings | Control Panel

1. Double click 'Add Scheduled Task'

2. When the Wizard comes up, click Next.

1. On the 'Click the program you want Windows to Run' screen, click the 'Browse' button. Navigate to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder, scroll all the way to the right and select 'ping' (or ping.exe if you are not hiding file extensions) and click Open.

2. On the 'Type a name for this task.' screen, simply click 'Daily' under the 'Perform this task:' prompt. Click Next.

1. On the 'Select the time and day you want this task to start.' just click Next.

2. On the 'Enter the name and password of a user' dialog, enter in your Windows username and password (if any).

1. Windows will now display 'You have successfully scheduled the following Task'. Checkmark the 'Open advanced properties on this task' field and click finish.

2. On the 'Task' tab, put a space in the 'Run:' field after the ping.exe and key in your WAPs IP address. If your WAPs IP address is 192.168.0.11, the 'Run;' field will look as follows:

c:\windows\system32\ping.exe 192.168.0.11

1. Click the 'Schedule' tab and then the 'Advanced...' button. Put a checkmark next to 'Repeat Task' and then change the 'Every' field to '3' 'Hours. Change the Durantion to '24' hours and '00' minutes. Click OK and then appy.

There ya go.

Reply to
<art

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.