WAP11 DEAD !!!!

I just bought a Linksys WAP11 Access Point so my son could get online with his Sony PSP - it worked perfectly.

As with all hardware/software I get I check for available upgrades, and found a firmware upgrade to 2.05, which I downloaded and installed. Ever since then the WAP11 is as dead as dead can be. I cannot connect to it at all. I tried resetting it etc, and using the original IP address etc.

Then I noticed that the firmware upgrade was a US one!!! Can I fix this now - I doubt I can :o(

If the US firmware kills UK spec hardware, should there not be a fail-safe to stop you doing his kind of thing????

I am so fecked off now - The unit cost me =A323 delivered (NEW), so may as well throw it and get another one than go through all the hassle of sending it back etc.

Well, if anyone can help me fix this then I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Demon :o(

Reply to
demontraitor
Loading thread data ...

I upgraded by wire, using the upgrade button in the html configuration pages. I have tried sniffing for the access point using the PSP, but can only see another unit which is farther away (22% signal).

Installing the matching config utility? how do I do this?

In the manual it says to reset by holding the button in for 10 secs. This does nothing :o(

Thanks

Reply to
demontraitor

How did you do the upgrade, wired or wireless? NEVER do a firmware upgrade wirelessly.

Have you tried holding down the reset button and keep holding it while powering up? Hold for 30 seconds to a minute then try.

What might help is if you run a sniffer to see what IP address or other traffic the thing is sending out in response to the packets sent by the Linksys config utility. It's also worth installing the matching Linksys config utility as they seem to have odd behaviour with mismatched versions.

I have put all sorts of firmwares on WAP11's including those from Dlink, I doubt that it's the US firmware that has done anything bad.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

PSP, what's that?

There have been several versions of the WAP11, which one do you have?

The 1.1 required management via an SNMP or USB interface, the 2.2 onwards is web managed but there's a util to get you started and that finds AP's on the wire.

I've had some success with this when other routes failed. Go to Linksys and download the appropriate quick install for your matching new firmware, e.g.

You did install the right firmware for your version of the WAP11 didn't you? :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.