WAP11 broken?

My Wap11 with Dlink DWL-900AP+ firmware doesn't respond anymore. The ACT led is flashing unregular and reset doesn't work. I connected it with a cable but the PC sees no connected device (network icon with red cross).

Trashcan?

Reply to
Wim
Loading thread data ...

"Wim" schreef in bericht news:4566d910$0$2028$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

I connected another powersupply (6V instead of 5V) and is working again! With 5V it consumes 270mA en with 6V 450mA. It seems the build in power regulator has a increased voltage drop.

Reply to
Wim

"Wim" schreef in bericht news:4567081b$0$2222$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

Just for the records:

I contacted Linksys. There is no voltage regulator inside, but 6V is no problem they said. The eeprom might be getting worse and with a little extra voltage it's workin fine for the time being. And it's still workin, the IC's are not getting hot.

It seems I also increased the send power with this power tweak because I never before had such a range.

Reply to
Wim

"Wim" hath wroth:

The wall wart on a WAP11 ver 2.2, in my pile of junk, shows 5V 2.0A.

Your 5V at 0.27A = 1.4 watts. That is far too low for a typical WAP11. I'll measure the current drain later today but my guess(tm) is about 5-7 watts consumption. Something is wrong. Are you sure your

5V wall wart is putting out about 5VDC? The 5V switchers are not known for their reliability. However, when they fail, they usually go to zero volts output, so that's probably not the problem.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

At 5.0VDC, my WAP11 v2.2 draws 0.75A. Interestingly, when I first apply power, the current drain is about 0.55A. After about 6, it turns on the radio and draws 0.75A.

The unit will function down to 4.3VDC without any degredation. That's because Linksys is wrong as usual. There is a 3.3VDC internal regulator for the CPU and wireless. I also tried it at 6.0VDC which also works. Current drain at 4.3 thru 6.0VDC was a fairly constant

0.75A which implies a fairly crude analog voltage regulator and not a switcher.

If your WAP11 happens to be a v2.2, and is only drawing 0.27A, then methinks there's something wrong with the wall wart. If you 6V replacement only draws 450ma, I don't think you're giving it enough time for the wireless to turn on. However, the multitude of different hardware versions might have different power drains, especially if you also did the adjustable power hack in the firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I used another supply from a Wet54G, same story and vice versa. I connected a professional power supply with V/A display and from 4-5.5V the powerled is on and the ACT led is just flashing in a high rithm with short pulses. When the voltage is above 5,5V then the ACT led becomes green and the current is raising to ca. 500mA. I meassured the voltage on the circuit and there is no drop between the power supply and the Wap11.

There is something wrong because it hás to work on 5V but most important is that it works again and, it seems, better dan ever.

Reply to
Wim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.