WAP versus wireless router

Looking to set up a "hybrid" network at home. I will use my current Ethernet and wish to add wireless function to remote desktop where I can't get wires without an unsightly mess

I thought all I needed was a Wireless Access Point (such as Linksys WAP54G) but then I saw a Linksys WRT54g wireless router that is described to have "three in one" functionality. Those three functions are:

- WAP

- route

- 4 port switch

The WAP54G is about 20$ more expensive than the WRT54g, yet the WAP54g appears to have only one function (it's a wireless access point)

The WRT54g is cheaper yet is advertised to offer more functions.

My question is this: Instead of buying the more expensive WAP, can I just plug my cable modem into the WRT54G and use one of the 4 ports to Ethernet my nearby desktop in addition to wirelessly connecting the remote desktop to the net?

thx in advance bob

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

Sure. Plug your ethernet cable modem into one of the four LAN ports of the WRT54G. Wireless routers are cheaper because more are sold and the cost goes down.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.