WAP for dial-up users

I once read about a WAP that was designed to work with a dial-up ISP instead of HSI, and even allowed connection sharing.

Does anyone know what I'm thinking of, and where I might buy it (it would make a good gift for someone in my family).

thanks.

Chip

Reply to
Chip Orange
Loading thread data ...

Should have mentioned that I had to rule out the Airport Extreme because it's fine print says it requires software running on a Macintosh for initial setup.

Chip

Reply to
Chip Orange

formatting link

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Where did you see that "fine print"? You can configure an Apple base station from a computer running Windows using AirPort for Windowns, available at .

Reply to
Neill Massello

Apple AirPort Extreme

WiFlyer

Reply to
Neill Massello

Thanks for letting me know that. The fine print is in their "system requirements" section of the Apple online store, I didn't check the support section.

Now that someone else here has pointed out the WiFlyer, it's $50 less and seems to have an ethernet connection port for one wired device which the AP Extreme does not; on the otherhand the AP extreme may act as a printer server, although again that's not clear for Windows.

Guess I'll go looking for a comparison now.

Thanks again,

Chip

Reply to
Chip Orange

Thanks for your response; aside from price, any reason to prefer this to the Apple Airport extreme (which seems to be b/g while this seems to be only ..11b as far as I can tell, which isn't that far as their web site is rather short on details)?

thanks.

Chip

Reply to
Chip Orange

Another option is to buy whatever nice (or cheap) AP router you want, then string a Ethernet-capable modem off of it, such as the Actiontec Dual PC Modem. Modems with Ethernet can get pricey, though.

Reply to
TV Slug

That's $150/ea. Nice but overkill for dialup. Some alternatives (all of which I've used):

1. Freesco router. Build it thyself from an old PC or SBC (single board computah). Supports multiple ethernet and PPP dial in/out connections:
    formatting link
  2. 3Scum 3C886A or 3C888A "lan modem"

formatting link
formatting link
$35 to $80 on eBay.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I carry mine around in my computer bag, so I can connect at client sites (or splice into their single ethernet connection), so small is good for me. Other than that it's pretty pricey...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I don't know why the Apple Store page has that restrictive language. You don't need a Mac with an AirPort card to administer an Extreme base station: you can do so via its Ethernet ports from any computer that can run a version of AirPort Admin Utility compatible with the base station's firmware.

If you mean that the Extreme base station cannot operate in client mode, that's right. But it does have two Ethernet ports. When DHCP and NAT are disabled, the WAN port becomes a second LAN port.

See .

Reply to
Neill Massello

The downlaodable PDF data sheet confirms that it is 802.11b. Surprising.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.