Want to connect my new PC w/ router

I have a PC w/ XP Pro, cable modem & Linksys wireless-g 2.4 ghz 54mbps broadband router, I just purchased another PC for my son w/ Vista. At the store, they informed me that I would need to download a driver into the Vista PC in order for it to properly "read" my router. Now that I've hooked up the new PC to my router, can anyone tell me exactly where to go and which device to download?

Thanks

Reply to
barthp1
Loading thread data ...

They told you that???? Ha.

Are you talking about a wired or wireless connection to the router? If wired just plug it in and go. If wireless does the PC already have a wireless card in it or did you buy one extra? Are we talking about a laptop or a desktop?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Did you check what they were smoking?

If you're making a 'wired' connection via ethernet, you need merely to plug the cables together and ensure that networking is configured on the new PC.

If oyu're making a wireless connection, you need to make sure you have a wireless card in the new PC, that its turned on and that Windows has recognised it. After that, it should be fairly simple. If Windows can't recognise it, you may need to install the drivers for the card. Check the manufacturer's website.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.