Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away

x-no-archive: I have the Internet at home, but there is a restaurant less than three blocks away that I would like to access. My home is higher than the resteraunt so I hope that helps. Any suggestion how to do this or what to buy? Currently I have a D- Link AirPlus G DI-524 802.11g/2.4GHz Wireless Router. Do I need a whole new router or can I buy a booster of some sort?

Reply to
Discoduck
Loading thread data ...

Why not buy your own internet connection? Now there's an idea....

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Discoduck hath wroth:

Nice try:

Do you have the restaurants permission to use their internet connection? Normally, it's only for their customers.

Well, lets go through the line of sight quiz:

1. Can you see the restaurant?
  2. If not, what's in between you and the restraunt?
  3. If yes, can you see the access point at the restaurant?
  4. If not, can you position yourself so you can see the access point?
  5. How far away (in units of measure other than blocks, paces, or cubits)?

That depends on how you plan to setup your end. Any particular computer? Will it accept PCI cards? Or is it a laptop? If a laptop, does it have USB 2.0? If not, does it have PCMCIA (16bit) or PC Card(32 bit)? Are you getting the idea? Without a clue what you have to work with, it's not possible to offer an equipment recommendation.

In addition, there's some question of the antenna location. If you're going to mount this mess in a window, you can get away with something fairly crud. However, if the antenna and radio are on the roof, in the weather, life is a bit more complex.

DI-524 rev A, B, C, or D? Look on the serial number tag. However, it doesn't matter as the DI-524 won't work. What you need is some kind of client adapter or wireless client bridge. It can also be part of the antenna and powered by PoE (Power over Ethernet). Lots of options, none of which the DI-524 can do. It's strictly a wireless router, not a client adapter. If it had a "client mode", it could be used, but it doesn't. Checking...

Nope. No client mode.

Not a router. Some kind of client adapter depending on what kind of unspecified computer you're using. Lay off the boosters as they only cause more problems than they solve. Details on request.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Why don't you read my post properly? Now there is an idea.... I state I have the Internet at home.

Reply to
Discoduck

I have the Internet at home. I just want to access it from the restaurant

Reply to
Discoduck

Why not read my post properly? Or even the subect line. Now there's an idea...

Reply to
Discoduck

My two cents.......why not try what you have and then report back? Get your router as high as you can, use a parabolic antenna (easy to make) and try it out?

3 blocks is not far. What IS important is line of sight, obstacles in either location, wireless client device, etc....
Reply to
Travis McGee

Thanks Travis. I haven't moved into the place yet but from past experience I'm fairly confident it won't make it (yet). There are buildings in the way which is why I'm hoping the fact I'm higher up, will be helpful. Now I'll google "parabolic antenna"

Reply to
Discoduck

Discoduck hath wroth:

There's now two of us that have read this to mean that you want access the restraunt wi-fi. How would you interpret this sentence: "...there is a restaurant... that I would like to access." You might want to work on the grammar.

Anyway, half my comments still apply, except backwards. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do much with your laptop or whatever you drag to the restaurant. Big antennas won't work very well inside, especially from random tables and locations. The big antenna will have to be at your home end, and that will only work if you have line of sight.

Incidentally, thanks for ignoring all my requests for more information. That saves me lots of time in not having to solve your problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually the grammar is fine. You made the assumption because most people ask about the opposite. What part of "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away" and "I have the Internet at home" did you understand? So you may want to work on your reading comprehension.

thanks for the info.

It sounds like you didn't understand the problem so you couldn't have solved it anyway. You're welcome.

Reply to
Discoduck

Actually the grammar is fine. You made the assumption because most people ask about the opposite. What part of "Want to access my connection from about 2-3 blocks away" and "I have the Internet at home" didn't you understand? So you may want to work on your reading comprehension.

thanks for the info.

It sounds like you didn't understand the problem so you couldn't have solved it anyway. You're welcome.

Reply to
Discoduck

Actually his reading comprehension is fine. How you wrote your statement indicated that you wanted to access the restaurant from your house.

You did not describe the problem accurately.

>
Reply to
Dana

He did.

Reply to
Dana

Take a chill pill, guys...........

I actually had to re-read it twice before I got it. I was "assuming" he wanted to hijack the AP like everyone else did. I was wrong.

In any case, all these antics about using wireless in ways it wasn't designed for is getting tiresome (tm). Sure you can run LOS 100 miles.. with the stability of a crack head on speed. But why?

I, too, experimented with the wireless toy, and finally did what good old Jeff L told me to do in the first place. Run cat 5. It was expensive ($160/500'), and I only used 200 feet of the stuff (cat 5e/indoor outdoor).

I then set up the AP at the end of the line, and now I have wifi all over my house, using my mom's broadband. I guess I'm using it in bridge mode, don't really know. For this scenario, I don't see much joy in trying to connnect over a cup of coffee at the joint. Too many variables. Maybe an outdoor table? Maybe suggest they set it up as a hotspot?

In any case, I'd like to play with building an outdoor AP using existing routers and POE.

Reply to
Travis McGee

Well, to access the restaurant, you usually drive a car, call a cab, or walk, and use an appropriate entrance when you get there. Since your home is higher than the resturant, you might purchase roller skates or a skateboard. Not sure what the router has to do with your question. ;)

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Your original statement is not clearly written...

Try this next time:

I have Internet access at home. I want to access my home connection from a restaurant less than three blocks away. Can I do this and, if so, how?

Reply to
RWEmerson

"Travis McGee" hath wroth:

The surest sign of a successful technology is abuse. Wireless is certainly successful.

It's the challenge. Because it's there. Testing the limits.

Ouch. The price of copper has gone up but not quite that high. I'm paying about $90 for 1000ft of CAT5e. What did you buy? Shielded? Gel filled (waterproof)? CAT6?

It's bridging. *ALL* 802.11 wireless is bridging. The wireless part of the puzzle doesn't know anything about IP addresses (except for access to the web based configuation). Only the router does ummm.... routing.

Maybe you leave the laptop at home? Laptops in restaurants are for table hogs. They sit there all day, sucking on a cup of coffee, doing their homework or something. I know of 2 local restaurants that have yanked their free wi-fi because of this problem.

Yep. That works nicely after you deal with the weatherproofing issues. Look into Franklin or AMOS antennas:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Discoduck hath wroth:

Ok, let's waste some time debating your sentence structure and my reading abilities. I'll admit to often being rather sloppy in reading questions, but not this time. Just re-read the quoted sentence fragment I supplied and see how you interpret it.

Thanks. I'm not sure what I'll do for the 15 or so minutes I've recovered, but I'm sure I can find something useful.

Also, in the future, when you ask a question, some minimum information is usually helpful:

1. What are you trying to accomplish or what problem are you trying to solve?
  2. What do you have to work with? (hardware, versions, software, versions, firmware, versions, topology, general description of area).
  3. If troubleshooting, what did you do so far and what happened? (Error messages)
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You rephrased your own statement, blending the subject with the dissimilar text in the posting, but refer to the new phrasing as if it were the original posting that should have been easy to understand.

"I have the internet at home, and I would like to access my home connection while I am at a restaurant that is less than three blocks away."

That might have been easier for people to understand. But then you wouldn't have been able to get all pissy about people assuming that you are trying to poach from the restaurant. If you knew that would be the common assumption, you might even have stressed that it was not what you were trying to do.

To suggest that Jeff can't solve a WiFi problem that he cares about is just incorrect. His advice was good. Just reverse the directions, kind of like the instructions for a transformer toy.

But, you don't care, do you?

Reply to
dold

I sit corrected. So are you just trying to do this to learn how to do it and the restaurant is your target? Or do you have a lagit reason to be on their network? just curious.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.