VPN through Linkys WRT54GC

I establish a VPN through a Linksys WRTGC v2.0. This VPN is dropped after 15 minutes and 30 seconds, but do not ask me why?

When I replace in the same configurration the Linksys by a Belkin Wireless adapter, the VPN stays up until (after more than 1 hour) I disconnect. And that is the way we want it.

Why the connection is dropped when linksys is in between the both PC's we would like to know? We discussed this with the linksys help department, and they decided to replace the WRT54GC by another one, but that is so far no solution. In other words, new machine with the same old problem.

Has anyone any idea that can solve this problem?

Marco

Reply to
Marco
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:06:02 +0200, "Marco" wrote in :

Switch to Belkin.

Reply to
John Navas

if you are running thru an address translation then your VPN client is probably doing encapsulation to protect the IPsec security. Try using TCP instead of UDP.

i dont know the platform, but there may be a UDP session lifetime setting in the Linksys - increasing that should improve the timeout, or adding a keepalive on the client would avoid the timeout.

mind you if you have a critical application it is usually better to test it before you commit to buying a bunch of kit.....

Reply to
stephen

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:54:14 GMT, "stephen" wrote in :

Another possibility is DHCP lease renewal problem. Try increasing the DHCP lease time.

Reply to
John Navas

We did test before with several routers. The WRT54G v4.0 works fine. We are unable to make a VPN through the WRT54G v5.0 With the WRT54GC we have the time-out problem. The VPN is a simple pptp-connection. We can (as far as we know) only configure the the DHCP leasetime (standard 1 day, up to 4320 minutes)

Marco "stephen" schreef in bericht news:qzIwg.42337$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Marco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.