VPN or SSL ?

Hi,

Does it exist howtos for newbies on how to set up VPN or SSL connections between wirelessly connected computers involving the Linksys WRT54G router?

.... or does it exist other ways to prevent casual hackers to gain access to my data?

Is WPA encryption as easy as WEP to crack..?

Thanks for comments, urls and advice ..

Tor

Reply to
Tor Tveitane
Loading thread data ...

"Tor Tveitane" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

VPN connections are router to router (hardware) VPN connection or software client to software server VPN connection (software) VPN connections like AT &T Extranet client and server software. Or Win 2K Pro workstation using IPsec connection to a Win 2k server that running IPsec as a VPN solution.

SSL is provided to a WEB site by a vendor like Verisign and allows a browser like IE to connect to the WEB site using a SSL connection session. Like you doing a bank transaction with your bank that has a Web Banking Service site.

formatting link
Those SSL solution from a secuirty company like Verisign cost a pretty penny and are not cheap like $1,000(s) of dollars, in some cases $100(s) for cheap vendor.

I hear you can crack WEP. You most likely can do the same with WAP too but it may be a lot harder.

You may be able to get two workstations into a VPN session using IPsec = search Google.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Duane Arnold" skrev i melding news:Xns963F56F2BEB7Bnotmenotmecom@216.148.227.77...

OK, and I guess that two Linksys WRT54G routers are *not* capable of doing that ;-)

OK will try

rgds

Tor

Reply to
Tor Tveitane

"Tor Tveitane" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I'll assume that the Linksys routers have VPN protocols in the firmware and can be placed into a VPN router to router connection.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

OpenVPN and its HOWTO is pretty good, and the software can be configured either as peer-to-peer or as client(s)-to-server.

Chris

Reply to
chris-usenet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.