VPN INFO

Not with what you have in the way of equipment. Your Windoze XP Pro can easily act as an IPSec client, but there's no place to terminate the VPN tunnel. You would need to replace your Netgear WGR614v1 router, with another router capeable of terminating a VPN. You already have a wireless access point so there's no need to replace the DI-624. Possible replacements are: Linksys BEFVP41 DLink DI-804HV, DFL-80, DFL-300 There are others.

In my never humble opinion, this is the right way to play wireless, but there seems to be very little interest in using VPN's in this way from the various manufactories of cheap boxes. Colubris, Sonicwall, and some others, have been pushing VPN over wireless for quite a while, but not Netgear, Linksys, or DLink. Note that a VPN tunnel will exact a rather large 50% preformance hit while WEP/WPA typical eat only 15-20%, which may explain their disinterest.

Also, there's no reason to disable the wireless part of the WGR614v1 just to use the DI-624 as an access point. Turn it back on. Set the SSID to be the same as the DI-614, but use a different non-overlapping channel (1, 6, or 11). Also, turn ON the DHCP server. In the DI-624, turn OFF the DHCP server.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hey guys, I need a little info regarding VPN. I'm not sure if this is possible, but here goes. My current setup is:

OS: Windows XP Pro PC: Compaq Notebook (Presario 2110US) Router: Netgear WGR614v1 (wireless disabled / router mode) AP: D-Link DI-624 (AP mode) Card: Netgear WG511T

Is it possible to communicate via VPN between my notebook and my AP? Does VPN even work in that manner? If so, how can I set it up? My AP is connected via ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of my router. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Some routers have VPN endpoint listed as a feature. Several of the SMC routers do. I don't see any NetGear. Be careful that they offer a VPN server, and not just VPN tunnelling.

$8.88 per month at

formatting link
for the VPN solution, plus whatever connectivity you provide via some other source. This connects you from your laptop to their server via VPN. not useful for connecting to other devices on your network, but good for gurading your wireless data.

Reply to
dold

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Groan(tm).

None really if you have sufficient coverage with one radio. However, if you live in a two story building (like me), or like to sit on a large stump while surfing the web (like me), or are into sharing the connection with the neighbors (like me), or find such exercises in configuration interesting (like me), you might wanna turn on both radios.

I'm still a fan of seperate DSL/cable modem, seperate router, and seperate wireless access point(s). Think of it as component stereo verus all-in-one conglomeration.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.