Vista connection to secure Windows XP Wi-Fi network

Hi I'm have a Gateway MT6705 running Windows Vista Home version. I can't connect to my office's secure wireless Windows XP Wi-Fi network. It sees the network but can't connect. Has anyone else run into the same problem? Supposedly it should try to connect and then ask the user for the password, ie, no prior need to give the network the MAC address on of the card. It should give this info to the network when it connects. I called Gateway and they said for some reason Vista is not backwards compatible with XP in this matter. Is this true? Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to
nmp
Loading thread data ...

Note I can connect through the Eithernet port so wired communication is possible.

Reply to
nmp

I was called to a house because 2 vista laptops (atheros wireless) could not connect to an Orange live box after a ot of messing I changed the live box from wep to wpa and they could connect fine (strange)

Reply to
bex753

With WEP, there is more than one way to convert a passphrase into a key. When setting up such a network, you may use a passphrase for the access point; however, always write down the hex key and use it for setting up all computers.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

I am also have a similar issue. This is through my company and I am unable to access the wireless network. I am running Vista Business. The MAC address of the wireless adapter has been added to all wireless access points. I have tried manually connecting to this connection (it uses WEP) and have entered the 26 hex passpharse. Still no dice. I am at a lost. It just says it can't connect to the network.

Reply to
cizzo

Unless I read the above wrong, if you are using 26 hex characters, thats 208 bits (1 hex character = 1 byte = 8 bits ergo 26 * 8 = 208) fraid i've never heard of a 208 bit key......

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:00:19 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrotd:

A HEX character, as far as the key is concerned, is only 4-bits... 0-F in value.

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

Damn you! You made me shoot beer out of my nostrils!!! Don't ever use the words Vista, XP, Windows, wireless and secure in the same sentence _ever_ again. You made me waste good beer. putz

Reply to
mr.b

I have the same similar problem.I connect at times,but to lan only.No internet. Looking into that now.I run win xp pro from the pc connected to router and vista basic on my laptop,the one that wont connect.

Reply to
Slider

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.