Virgin Media Wireless Issues

I've recently changed from BT internet to Virgin Media. I previously was using a Netgear DG834G v3 ADSL Modem Router which enabled me to use the internet wirelessly with my iMac and MacBook. I have now been provided with a Virgin Media DSL Modem (Model No E08C007) which does not work wirelessly. I was informed that if I connected my previous Netgear router to the new modem via the ethernet cable, it would transmit a wireless signal and I could go back to using my internet wirelessly. This does not work however and currently I am having to plug in the ethernet cable to my MacBook - incredibly frustrating after being used to wireless. Virgin Media have suggested that I call their £1 per minute PC help-line. I am not willing to do so. Please can anyone offer me a solution?

Thank you very much. Anymore information required please ask.

Kate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
shesbenevolnet
Loading thread data ...

Did you follow the installation procedure described in the Netgear manual?

Many DSL providers register the MAC address of you computer, and there is a setting in the router to clone the MAC address in the web interface.

I can't install it for you from where I am. Keep trying.

Reply to
curly Bill

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:43:56 -0500, shesbenevolnet wrote in :

You may be able to use the DG834G v3 as a wireless access point (by using just the LAN ports and turning off the DHCP server), but probably not as a router, so you'd only get one connection unless you add a router.

Reply to
John Navas

You connected your modem to the router's WAN port, yes? And then rebooted both router and modem?

Also you would need to configure your router to work with VM's ADSL service. The manual for the router should explain the basics, the userid etc will be as per your Mac's config.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.