Vertical or Horziontal Polarziation?

It doesn't really make any difference, as such.

If you want an omni directional pattern from your antenna, you'll almost certainly want to use vertical polarizationm, just because most "omni" antennas are only omni directional when they are vertical.

But all that actually matters is that the polarization of the receive antenna matches that of the received signal. And note that the polarization of the signal isn't necessarily exactly the same as the transmit antenna either! If the signal bounces off a few strange objects (aluminum foil backed insulation in walls is a very nice reflector, for example) there may be some changes, depending on the angle of the reflections.

There are a couple of practical ways you can use that information. One is that if you can use horizontal polarization (for example if you only have two units, and this would be very applicable if one is on a different floor than the other), it might provide you some isolation from other nearby wifi radios, almost all of which are going to be using vertical polarization. Typically there can be a 25 to 35 dB difference vertical and horizontal polarization, if there are no other factors.

Another practical thing to do is adjust the angle of one antenna while checking the signal strength. Just because the other antenna is vertical doesn't mean, for example, that a PCI card with a wifi antenna sticking out the back of a desktop machine is going to get the best signal with that antenna in a vertical position. Move it around and see where it does get the best signal.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

Vertical polarization is the most commonly used. However, horizontal has some advantages in a point to point link in reducing interference pickup. If you're undecided, there's always 45 degrees as in:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Usually vertical.

Reply to
Rôgêr

I am reinstalling my WiFi antenna in my RV and cannot remember what is the most used polarization. Is it vertical or horizontal?

Thanks,

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Vogel

Can you re-orient it easily, or is it going to be bolted to a fix spot? If you can re-orient it easily, consider the yaw as well as the azimuth when setting up in a particular location. The apparent polarization can vary with reflections. My USB dongle antenna shows a marked difference from vertical to horizontal. I have my router antenna parallel to the floor because that is what I have observed to be the best for my laptop card.

If you can't adjust it, vertical might be the more popular.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.