Varying signal strength...

Now that I have the means to look at my signal strength, I of course monitor it. What I've noticed is that it varies... sometimes down to

39 othertimes up to 54. The AP is not moving, the client is not moving... walls are not moving... so what makes the signal strength vary?

Thnx

Reply to
puzzled186
Loading thread data ...

1. Reflections and multipath cause the reflected signal to either cancel or reinforce the direct signal causing variations in signal strength.
  2. Interference and marginal signal levels will cause the access point to slow down the connection speed to reduce error rate. This will have an effect on indicated signal strength. 39 to 54 out of an assumed possible 100 is not a very good signal.

When the wavelength of 2.4Ghz is only 12.5mm, it doesn't take much movement to create reflected changes. The walls are not moving, but you are and so are metal objects visible through windows and doors.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

My slide rule sez that's 12.5cm. And what about Aether Drift?????

Roby

Reply to
Roby

Oops. It was my proof readers day off. Y'er right. It's 12.5cm. As for Ether Drift, I never touch the stuff during working hours.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Also it might not be true that those other object are not moving. Given the wavelength of 12.5cm, that means merely a

6.25cm movement will produce *maximum* effect. Obviously it takes very little movement to produce significant effects.

Over a period of time, things like the temperature change as direct rays from the sun hit a wall or as the room temperature varies with a forced air heating system are examples of long term variations that might not be noticed as changes. Other odd things too, like opening or closing of doors, people moving about, or even vehicles being parked in different places just outside of a building, can all cause multipath variations.

Changes in relative humidity would be another invisible variable.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Recall the days of off the air TV? Every time a bus passed or an airplane flew over the picture would shimmy? Then it was called a ghosts now it's called multi path but it's the same animal. So long as it does not effect the performance why worry?

Reply to
Not Me

People moving.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

If you can place V shaped card covered in aluminium foil behind the aerial(s) you will find the signal much steadier. Bending the card in parabolic shape might be even better. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.