UWB - affect the stability of such existing systems ????? :(:(

Hi, I wonder , Why do we have UWB ? The reason for my above thought is due to the below lines- , " However first studies show that the rise of noise level by a number of UWB transmitters puts a burden on existing communications services.This may be hard to bear for traditional systems designs and may affect the stability of such existing systems. " Is it true that it will have a significant level of impact on the existing systems ? Or, something wrong about it ? I wonder why is UWB is supported if that is causing burden to existing communication systems ? Any specific reason for continuation of support for it and its survival ?

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru
Loading thread data ...

I find those lines in the below link -

formatting link
Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

The signal bandwidth of a UWB system occupies channels used by other systems. In order to do that and still meet regulations, it falls under similar regulations as for unintentional emissions from any electronics, like computers, toys, etc. The idea of the regulations is to prevent too much radiated "pollution" from ruining the channels for communications systems. The more radiation sources are present the more pollutiing energy there is, but the sources tend to be spread out enough that the sectra is still usable.

I think the same will be true of UWB devices, i.e., there won't be so many of them that their energy will add up to anything significant, especially since they transmit very low power levels, anyway.

So UWB devices try to sneak in on other device's channels but do so by transmitting very low power levels. The Wiki article says not more than -41.3dBm/MHz, which will be seen as a small increase in noise to most systems, if noticed at all.

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

formatting link

Reply to
Eric Jacobsen

UK CAA had (circa 2002) proposed banning inflight use of UWB radio equipped laptops.

First in situ research done in 2007:

formatting link

Reply to
News

Since I live in the UK:- Ofcom's consultation document 2005

Since they have more or less had to comply with the EU directive

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.