USR54116 problems

Hi, I am trying to set up a network using a USR 8054 Router and a USR 5416 wireless NIC, Every thing went well the my wireless NIC stopped (went Red) I get an error message saying "wireless network connection 2 wireless connection unavailable"

My system is a PIII 1GHZ WinXP sp1

386 MB memory

I have tried reinstalling the NIC using the lastest version of the installer (1c-5.0j) I have used ip config to release and renew ( get the same error message)

I have verified the TCP/IP settings

Any Help would be appreciated

Reply to
RSW
Loading thread data ...

Hi, problem Solved. My Router had to be reset, the USR proceedure DOES NOT WORK searching the web produced the following:

Many thanks to PETER

Date: 31 Oct 2003 09:04:15 From: Pete Subject: USR8054 working I have noted that a few people have asked about getting this wireless AP & router working. I have managed to archive this. And their were two problems I found.

1. The setup wizard
  2. How to reset the router to factory defaults.

First I should explain that I spent a whole week trying to get one to work and it kept locking up on the wireless front. After a few calls to USR it was decided that the unit needed replacing. One thing they were keen on checking was that the PSU was putting out the required 5v, so I presume they have had some problems with PSUs.

So I got the new 8054 and after configuring it, it had the same problem!

A few hours of fiddling and trying to get it to reset and I managed to get it working and it has been doing so for three days solid without a reset.

The secret I discovered (and I have not messed with it to check) is to ignore the setup wizard, don't even select the option for it not to appear again.

So now for resetting the router. The description given does not always work and it usually takes me several attempts.

1. Using a paperclip (or similar) press the reset button in and hold in for over 5 seconds.
  2. Pull out the power cable while still holding the reset button in.

(USR say keep the button pressed but I find that this does not work and puts the router into a mode to accept a firmware upgrade - seen by the status lights being seen and flashing)

1. Release the reset button.
  2. Plug the power back in.
  3. Almost straight away (maybe 1 second delay) press the reset button and hold it for over 5 seconds.
  4. Release the button and the router may be reset.

My USR8054 is now working as follows..

-Address caged to match my home network

-Router functions disabled as I already have a Linksys cable-router

-DCHP function disabled due to Linksys doing the DCHP

-Wireless set to AP only

-WEP enabled

The throughput (according to PC card s/w) is showing over 20Mbps for file transfers (like up to 25Mbps).

Peter

Reply to
RSW

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.