Using Wi-Fi to send Password for Mail and MT-Newswatcher

I have been using a city sponsored Wi-Fi for a while, mainly to browse the web and to download stuff from MacUpdate.

I use my earthlink account via dialup to send/receive email and to read the newsgroups, because both of these require a password be sent to earthlink to use.

Is there any way that I can use Wi-Fi to send/receive e-mail and to read the newsgroups without making my passwords known to others?

I am on Macintosh OS 10.5.8 and I use Mail.app 3.6 and MTNewswatcher

3.5.3b3.

Thanks.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe
Loading thread data ...

If you use an encrypted connection like https and nntps it is encrypted before it ever hits the network and will be more secure. However both ends of the connection must agree to support encryption.

Reply to
China Blue Veins

You could use IMAP/SSL, IMAP/TLS, or POP3/SSL for reading emails, SMTP/SSL or SMTP/TLS for sending emails, and NNTP/SSL for reading/posting news. Try ticking the "use SSL" and/or "use TLS" options in the appropriate client application settings and seeing whether that works for you and your service provider.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.