Using vs. Avoiding Steel Structures

I have this issue that I've been toying around with for the past few weeks as a solution to my lack of wireless coverage in my house. The building i live in is made of concrete and steel (don't know what it's called exactly). However I live in a duplex, so there is a bright side, that being that there is a big hole in the floor/ceiling acting as an open space between the two apartments. Here's where the problem is, the staircase that links the two floors together is an aesthetically pleasing, well-decorated STEEL STRUCTURE. Of course that may be good on the eyes, but it kinda sucks for wireless networking not to mention that comes right smack in the middle of the house, so it kind of cuts up the house into zones.

|---------------------|-----------------------| |Upper Floor Left Zone | Upper Floor Right Zone | |---------------------|-----------------------| |Lower Floor Left Zone | Lower Floor Right Zone | |---------------------|-----------------------|

So as you might have realized by now, I am facing issues deploying a wireless network to cover the whole house. As I can see it, I have a few choices:

1. Buy extremely high gain antennas to get a signal penetrated from one zone to all three others.
  2. Buy APs/routers and use them as range expanders.

One other option that I have been thinking of is, what if I could actually use this immense steel structure as an antenna? Just a little bit of applied physics, if I were to wrap a coil round my routers antenna and attached it to the steel of the staircase, wouldn't that induce a current to and from the steel stair case from/to the antennae of the router? this in turn would turn my greatest obstacle into the greatest catalyst that ever happened to my house (from a wireless networking point of view).

Any ideas, suggestions, comments (bashful or not)?? All is welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
jlaham
Loading thread data ...

That steel structure is not an effective antenna at WiFi frequencies.

That opening makes it easy to run wiring (Cat5). No point in trying to jam wireless into a building where wired can be done; wired LANs are more secure, more stable, and faster than wireless LANs

Reply to
Bob Willard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.