Using USR8054 as an access point

I'm trying to connect a USR8054 router to my existing wireless network (which uses a Linksys WRT54G). My intention is this - I have the DSL modem plugging into the WRT54G which feeds a couple cabeled computers, and then in another area of the house I want to use the USR8054 as a switch for a couple of cabled computers and have them able to use the WRT54G as the DHCP server and router. Is this possible? I've tried putting the USR8054 in "AP only" mode and setting it to have a static IP in the subnet of my existing WRT54G, but computers plugged into the USR8054 cannot talk to the rest of the network, get a DHCP address, etc. I am using WEP and have the key set up the same on both routers. What could I be doing wrong?

Reply to
ajsoley
Loading thread data ...

On 1 Sep 2006 14:39:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

An access point is a *host*, and hosts won't talk to other hosts. What you need is a *client*, and that's called a "wireless client bridge" (or wireless Ethernet bridge).

Reply to
John Navas

wire the USR8054 to the WRT54G...

Reply to
GuitarMan

If I wanted it wired, I wouldn't have bought the USR8054 in the first place, I'd just have used an old 5 port switch I have laying around. So, 100% sure I bought the wrong piece of equipment to do the job I want?

Also, I want to be sure this is not just because of limited functionality of the USR8054 - if I swapped the routers so that the USR8054 was connected to the DSL modem, the WRT54G would not be able to act as a bridge either? I haven't tried this yet, didn't want to disrupt my network needlessly.

Reply to
ajsoley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.