Using two ISPs on two routers

I have the pleasure of having two internet connections in the house. One is provided via ADSL and the other is a cable connection. They are on two seperate Netgear routers with different wireless SSID. I recently read that if you had two seperate ISP connection I could combine the internet connection into one stream, I could virtually double the connection speed to the net. I beleive Netgear are (or have?) in the process of producing a router that has the ability of connecting two ADSL connections. In the meantime, is there a way I could bridge the two routers I have and combine the two internet connections, thus increasing my speed?

Reply to
gw.harrison
Loading thread data ...

Nope...its called bonding. If you had complimentary bonded equipment (at your cost) at the telco central office, you could bond two DSL modems, but the cost to co-locate at the C.O. is not trivial.

Needless to say, you can't bond a DSL and cable modem.

On the other hand, most likely Netgear is going to offer a load balancing device that shares two DSL lines. It will not increase your absolute speed, but it will allow for greater user loading (which sort of gives the illusion of a faster connection).

Reply to
DTC

Great question and asked by many over the years in an attempt to aggregate bandwidth or provide Internet access redundancy.

Look at

formatting link
a solution that involves patches to the BSDI o/s for one approach.

Search on "multihoming without BGP" for other approaches using the packet filter facility on NetBSD; this approach may also be possible on OpenBSD but I have not found any references to it being done.

Evidently Win32 has various facilities for multiple default routes when multihomed...

Evidently certain linux kernels handle multiple default routes by doing some round-robin load balancing across the interfaces, but I have no experience with this; there is also some discussion about using virtual interfaces in linux.

If you do this, please report back with your solution and observations. I suspect that you may try this using multiple interfaces on a Windows PC.

Michael

Reply to
msg

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" hath wroth:

I covered how to do that in a previous posting. See:

The article is about load balancing routers for 4 ISP's, but it there are devices listed that will do it for two ISP's.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.