Using Static IP set up on lnksys WRT54G router

Is it possible, under any circumstances to have the same IP address entered into the Ineternet IP address as well as in the Gateway IP address under the setup tab, sub tab basic setup where your internet connection type is listed as static IP?

Reply to
jsdranger
Loading thread data ...

Why would you want this?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I dont believe it is possible to have the same IP address in 2 places in the router but was told to enter that IP address into both the internet IP and gateway address.

I just want to know if that is possible and if it is possible, how?

Thanks

Bill Kearney wrote:

Reply to
jsdranger

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Sure it's possible. I sometimes setup print servers with static IP's and with a gateway set to the print servers own IP address. The idea is to keep the print server traffic off the internet router where the router counts the print server as a "user" (i.e. Sonicwall).

I guess one should be able to setup a router in a similar manner. So, I try the online WRT54G emulator: |

formatting link
protests that: "IP address and gateway can't be the same" I guess Linksys WRT54G doesn't allow it. Oh well.

So, what are you trying to accomplish here? Maybe there's another or better way.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thats my beef with Sonicwall. Does setting the gateway same as device IP work to prevent the Sonicwall from finding the device? Previously I tried not entering a gateway on printservers but the Sonicwall saw the device. I thought it was because the Sonicwall did discovery of some sort on its subnet but maybe the printserver did an autodiscovery of the gateway?

Reply to
George

George hath wroth:

Yes. That works well with HP print servers. I haven't tried it with others. The original SOHO firmware would only count IP addresses that went through the router. Since about 2002, the firmware counts all IP addresses that hit the firewall LAN interface. Very dumb.

My current way is to simply add the IP address of the print server to the IP filter exclusion list. That also excludes it from the user count in some (not all) firmware versions.

The newer SonicOS has a license exclusion list specifically for print servers. However, the older boxes lack this feature.

Yet another way around the problem is to use subnets. I use 0-126 for the routeable parts of the LAN, which includes desktops, DHCP range, and laptops. 129-254 is for devices that shouldn't count as users, such as print servers and SNMP management ports. The router has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128 so that it only sees the routeable devices. The clients all have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 so that they can see the printers and managed devices. That worked fine until about 2004, when the firmware no longer allowed setting the subnet mask independently via DHCP. So, I had to setup another box to play DHCP server. It works, but I don't recommend this method any more.

Sonicwall has their own formula. Their goofy support query tool cannot be bookmarked or even cut-n-paste. So, go unto:

formatting link
inscribe: "license count" in the query box. Click "yes" to the obvious question. You should get two methods of having a print server not count as a user. Although you can't cut-n-paste or save the answer, you can print or email it to yourself.

I don't know. I think that most Sonicwall devices support IRDP (router discovery protocol RFC1256) but that won't return anything from a print server as the print server is unlikely to be broadcasting ICMP "I'm a router" packets.

I still use and buy Sonicwall products because they're very good, very reliable, very versatile, but expensive. If I want something complex, that works out of the box, I tend to use Sonicwall.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.