Using PC as AP

At work we have a wired network. However, we have various machines that have a Wi-Fi adapters. Is there some way I could use one of these computers to act as an access point so that I can connect to the network to browse network folders & access the internet?

TIA

Reply to
elziko
Loading thread data ...

I might add that all these computers are running Windows XP SP2 - the actual machines and Wi-Fi adapters differ from machine to machine.

Reply to
elziko

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

Maybe. You might research "ad-hoc" vs "infrastructure" wireless networks, and the differences between access-point, client, and bridge, given the above.

There are lots of good references on paper and online, and I'd not want to deprive you of the pleasure.

Do consider that you might be talking a major security breach for a work network, and someone might be very unhappy with your actions.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

"elziko" hath wroth:

Yes, but not easily with Windoze. There was a program called SoftAP that did just that, but it's basically dead. I could offer various abominations that might suffice, but methinks the best solution would be to spend perhaps $60 and purchase a wireless access point (or wireless router).

It's difficult to tell from your description, but it's also highly likely that your workplace already has a wireless access point or wireless router. That makes what you're trying to do probably a violation of company policy. Most companies have policies proscribing what are called "rogue access points". You might want to check with your companies IT department before adding or modifying the wired or wireless network.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.