Using a router as a simple hub

I have a DI-614+ router with 4 ethernet ports that I would like to connect to my main network via an ethernet cable. The 614+ would then act as hub and a wireless access point. I tried connecting it using a crossover cable from my main router to the 614+'s WAN connect and configured it with a dynamically assigned IP address. This did not work. Any suggestions for how this can be accomplished?

Reply to
writesuren
Loading thread data ...

It took me a while to figure this one out - not intuitive.

Internet connection is through a DI-604 address 192.168.0.1, wired, 4 port hub.

Wireless is Linksys WRT54GC I treat this as a hub, but I do not use the uplink connector Instead, I use a standard cable into one of the 4 ethernet connectors Then I changed the address to 192.168.0.2 DHCP is turned ON for the wired router, OFF for the wireless

netmask is 255.255.255.0 gateway for all computers is 192.168.0.1 for me, all wired computers (except visitors) have static IP addresses and all wireless computers and visitors use DHCP from the wired router

This way, the wireless router is simply acting as a hub for all wireless computers in range. Then I have added some security settings, and I leave it turned off when not needed.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

You can't convert the second router into a hub. The router has built-in

*switch* technology. You disable the DHCP server on the router and it becomes a wire/wap *switch*.

formatting link

If you follow the instruction in the link for the Linksys routers, replacing your two routers in the example, you'll make the connection, as the principles are the same for the two routers when the second router becomes a switch no matter what kind of router, make, model wire or wireless.

You configure the second router to use a static IP on the getaway router, and you use LAN ports on both routers.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.