Using a cordless phone's omni antenna for wifi application & about cable impedance

Hi,

I've got a few omni directional antennas that were used for 254/380 MHz cordless phones and would like to know if they are frequency specific or if it is possible to use them for wifi 2.4 GHz applications. They've got three horizontal spokes spaced by 120 degrees at the base. I opened one of the antennas and inside there is only one long copper wire.

As with my second question, I wanted to know if the cable that came with these cordless phones can be used for wifi. The cable is thinner than the LMR400 but when the gear was in service I could easy get signal up to 10 kilometres. Of course the base set had 15 watts and the handset had 4 watts, very huge by wifi standards !

The main thing about the cable is to know if by putting two cable lengths in parallel I can improve the signal for wifi. In my electronics classes I learnt that by putting two resistances in series the total resulting resistance is the sum of the two while if you install two of them in parallel the resulting resistance is smaller than the smaller of the resistance. I don't know if the formula applies to cable impedance. If it does, then putting two cables in parallel would have an impedance of less than 50 ohms which may damage the wifi gear as they need a load of 50 ohm.

I know it's easier to buy new accessories, but if we can learn by experimenting it could very interesting.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Regards.

Wiseman

Reply to
Wiseman
Loading thread data ...

Hi All antennas are frequency specific,so your phone ones are no use for wifi . Cables have a number of characteristics ,impedence is only one, and should be matched to the equipment at each end of the cable for maximum signal transfer.,running two cables in parallel wil not help with radio signals.TANSTAFL Ken Reynolds .

Reply to
ken reynolds

I'd be real surprised if they worked at all at 10X the frequency...

Ditto.

You'd have a 25 ohm impedance, which wouldn't ruin anything, but wouldn't work very well either.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.