Using a Belkin F5D7230-4 as a n access point with a D-Link Router

Hello, I am trying to use a Belkin F5D7230-4 router as an access point. I have a D-Link DI-524 Wireless-G router as my main wireless router. I want to connect the Belkin router wireless-ly to the D-Link router so that the connection looks like this:

Cable Modem DI-524 Belkin F5D7230-4 -> Wired comps

So, basically, I want to connect a few wired devices to the Belkin F5D7230-4 router. The DI router has a MAC address filtering, and I have put in the WAN MAC address of Belkin into it (I have also tried with WLAN/LAN MAC address of the Belkin router). Next I have followed the directions in this page:

formatting link
the page talks about linking a D-Link to a LinkSys, I thought they would be similar, but things are not working.

This is all what I have done:

1. I have put the WAN MAC address of Belkin into DI-524. I have also assigned a static address of 192.168.0.190 to the Belkin MAC in DI-524. The DI-524 is set up to distribute IPs from
192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 in DHCP. The remaining are for Belkin:
  1. In Belkin, I have matched the SSID, channel and security (actually no security right now since I use MAC filtering) with those of DI-524.
  2. Next I clicked on 'LAN Settings' and assigned 192.168.0.190 as the IP Address, and 255.255.255.0 as the Subnet Mask. Also I set the DHCP server as ON and set the IP pool from 192.168.0.200-250.
  3. In 'Connection Type', I have left it to 'Dynamic'. (I played with 'Static' as well, with setting the same IP address, 192.168.0.190 as the WAN and setting up 192.168.0.1 as the gateway - no use).
  4. In 'DNS', I am using '192.168.0.1' as the DNS address.
  5. In 'Channel and SSID', I have matched the channel and SSID. I have left the 'Broadcast SSID' to OFF, Protedted Mode to 'OFF' and 802.11e QoS to 'OFF'.
  6. Disabled security.

That's pretty much it. In the Belkin router front page, it says, in 'Features': NAT enabled, Firewall Settings Enabled, Security Disabled.

I am sure this configuration must have been done by somebody. I have read quite a few success stories similar to this, but haven't this this configuration. Can anyone help me out with what I am missing?

Thanks.

Reply to
aquadoll
Loading thread data ...

Replace the firmware with dd-wrt and use it in client mode.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my Belkin router does not seem to be covered here:

formatting link
have Belkin F5D7230-4, v6002, FCC ID: K7SF5D7230C. Any suggestions?

Reply to
aquadoll

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:14:24 -0800 (PST), aquadoll wrote in :

You can only do that with a wireless Ethernet client bridge -- a wireless access point or router cannot connect as a client to another wireless router.

MAC address filtering is pointless and can be problematic -- suggest you turn it off entirely.

That uses 3rd party software to turn a wireless access point or router into a wireless Ethernet client bridge.

None of this will help to accomplish your objective.

You need a wireless Ethernet client bridge. See the wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.