Using 2 routers

I don't know if I can do this so thought I would ask first. I have a Linksys 4 port wireless on the 2nd floor. Since the wireless signal was weak in my basement office, I ran cable down and connected a 8 port switch.

Now I need wireless connection for a laptop on the main floor. I was thinking about running a cable back up from the 8 port basement switch and connecting a wireless access point on the main floor.

I have another Linksys 4 port router and wondering if this can be use as a wireless access on the main floor before buying just the Linksys WAP54g.

Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
Don Harvey
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
LR

why don't you just use WRT54gs (WAP/Routers) instead of just wap's, routers, and switches? (cheaper, and wap and router are in the same box, you can even get em cheap at walmart) you can daisy chain as many wrt's together as you want (supposedly, i've only done 5, but can't see why you can't do more) and you wouldn't need to run another cable

do you have any specific reason you want to use seperate wap's and routers?

Reply to
Peter Pan

The main reason is that I wanted to utilize the extra wireless 4 port router that I already have. I would like to be able to use the laptop on my back patio this spring and summer. I work at home and get tired of being stuck in this basement office when the weather is nice.

Reply to
Don Harvey

Reply to
Don Harvey

okay, i can certainly understand that, heck on my honeydo list i have put a spare wap/router in the gazebo and hang the hammock this weekend so i can work in there now that spring is here.. mid to upper 80's... yahoo!

if you already have one/two/three/etc just use different start ip's/ssid's and plug em router part to router part (not the wan) (if you want seemless roaming/same ssid it a LOT more complex)

for your downstairs thing it was just use a wap (or wap/router, along with your 8 port thing (before the 8 and a wap/router would work for sure), it will work fine.....

bottom line, you can do it easily and simply, probably without running another cable

as an aside, i have one of the powerline network things by the cable modem, and use the other around the house for wired, or on a spare wap router if i want wireless too....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks for the help. Yea, the weather is nice here in the midwest usa also and I thought no way am I going to be stuck in this basement office all day.

I moved my business back to my home this month and that was one of the downside of moving :)

I even found an Linksys WAP11, older 4 port routers, and a couple of 5 port switches no longer used so I thought there must be stuff around here that will work

Speed is not important, only to ability to connect to my dispatch program, internet and email is mainly all I need. Going to give it a try this weekend.

Reply to
Don Harvey

just an aside, know how people have been saying a wap/router is cheaper than a seperate wap and seperate router? well in your case, since they are free, no reason you can't plug a wap into a router and have the equivalent of a combo wap and router (cept in two boxes instead of one)

simple trick (not the only way, but simple) just change the starting ip address of any wap's you put on the system (come as 192.168.1.1 make it something like 192.168.1.10 next 192.168.1.20 etc, that way they don't conflict with each other and are seperately addressable

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.