USB-Wireless adapters for Mac

I have one that works fine, but requires a manual process to connect to our LAN every time the Mac is booted. Is that "standard", or are there some adapters that have better drivers so they automatically connect, just like wired Ethernet does? Mac, OS X Tiger.

Isaac

Reply to
isw
Loading thread data ...

Is it such an old Mac that it doesn't have wireless built in? If it's a desktop, I'd use an AirPort Express over Ethernet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Newegg has a wireless adapter that sells for about $30.00 US it will work on Msc OS 10.4.x and above. I just bought one it it works great.

Reply to
Rick

It's a G4 Mini that I got a really good deal on precisely because it didn't have WiFi built in. It's for my wife, who doesn't get along all that well with "technology", so the manual process to log on is a problem. Otherwise, there's no problem I can see with USB-wireless.

I was just hoping for a specific brand (or chip type) that was known to auto log on.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Hmm, there was a post by someone else about a USB wireless dongle that might work. Best of luck with your quest.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Newegg has a EDIMAX EW-7318USg Lan adapter that works on any Macs OS

10.4.x and above. It requires installation--very simple follow the directions exactly and then every time the USB adapter is plugged in you are on line. One might say "Even A Caveman can do it" :)
Reply to
Rick

Sounds like what you are saying is that every time you boot the Mac, you have to un- and re-plug the adapter. That's not even slightly better than having to click some logon window; at least clicking doesn't wear out the USB connector.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Rick chose the tried and tested strategy of:

That's no way to talk about Mac users.

Reply to
alexd

No as long as the USB adapter is plugged in you are on line

Reply to
Rick

OH well :)

Reply to
Rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.